1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jumping ship?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by flower_power1, May 7, 2012.

1. I am a mature NQT who is battling through the first year in F2. I have found it hard to do my job and manage the four adults that work in the room with me. I just want to get to the end of July and qualify but am already being asked about plans for September. How do I address the main problems I have in order to avoid it happening again in Sept. Right now I want to quit but I need the money too much. Every weekend I cry and dread going back on the Monday. Every night I cry because I am dreading the next day and often I cry during the day. I am fed up of feeling fed up and keep thinking that this stress isn't worth it.

2. I am a mature NQT who is battling through the first year in F2. I have found it hard to do my job and manage the four adults that work in the room with me. I just want to get to the end of July and qualify but am already being asked about plans for September. How do I address the main problems I have in order to avoid it happening again in Sept. Right now I want to quit but I need the money too much. Every weekend I cry and dread going back on the Monday. Every night I cry because I am dreading the next day and often I cry during the day. I am fed up of feeling fed up and keep thinking that this stress isn't worth it.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It sounds to me like you might not be in the right school for you. It isn't right for you to be feeling so miserable and something needs to change, whether that is within your current working environment or by moving to a different school. Do you think that things could change enough in your current school to make your job feel manageable? Do you feel clear in your own mind about what the 'main problems' are?

4. From a personal point of view you can contact the teacher support network for help (http://teachersupport.info/) As for what to do in September perhaps what you need is a meeting will all of those who work with the class to focus on the main issues and problems. The thing to be careful of is that it does not turn into any attack on individuals (you included). To sort problems you need to identify what they are, then prioritise the problems and seek to tackle the biggest problem first and agree a way to do this with everyone. If you consistently deal with a problem as a group it will be solved then you move to the next issue.
    The Sage