1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jumped from MP3 to L1 on promotion, do I have to go back to MPS in next job?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sted16, Apr 2, 2017.

1. sted16

sted16 New commenter

Hi,

I got promoted to second in department in a core subject in a large school and moved from M3 to L1 a year ago. I have gone through PM this year and been moved to L2 but I am looking at changing schools to get more experience before applying for HoD roles. All of the posts that I am applying for are advertising as MPS/UPS + TLR.
    Where do I stand on what point I go back to on the MPS or is it likely that I can negotiate successfully for UPS? I've been in the one school for my whole career so far and have no experience with negotiating pay.

Thanks in advance!

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

So this is your 5th year of teaching? My feeling is that you could reasonably be offered anything from M5 + TLR to UPS1 + TLR if your references support your worthiness :)

And yes, you can negotiate.

Yoda- likes this.
  3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Upon successful completion of an interview, when offered the job, state you accept subject to a satisfactory contract and salary. The head would probably begin negotiations.

Have in your mind what the commensurate amount from L2 is in relation to MPS/UPS + TLR and add a reasonable increase to this. Be prepared to justify reasons for the increase in terms of what you would contribute to the school. A delicate balance between knowing your professional value and being mindful of the omnipresent budget constraints would be helpful.

4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I was on Ast scale (which I think was L3) after M5 I think. When I moved school for a HoD post they suggested Ups1+tlr, and I negotiated Ups2. It was still a bit of a drop, but as I knew wherever I went I wouldn't be on the leadership scale, I felt it was reasonable. Some schools might suggest starting on equivalent to M6 and going through threshold next year, if you haven't formally gone through threshold.

sted16 and drvs like this.
  5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

It's important to remember that this is not just about how you value yourself, but also about how the employer values the post they need to fill and finally, how highly they value your application. It's a suck it and see situation.

1 person likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sometimes people advertise MPS to mean something on the official scales, including UPS. Whether this is the case at the schools you are looking at remains to be seen. In practice, I think to get UPS, you would need to be a clearly better option than somebody else who interviews who is happy to stay on MPS.

If I were you, I would apply but not accept anything below UPS. If you don't get a suitable job, I would think that another year or so in your current role would leave you with enough experience to go for an HoD role.

7. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

There's no such thing as a payscale in teaching. They were scrapped some years ago. Negotiate.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There are no national scales in the sense of pay points across all schools in a region, but the word scale is used in STPCD to refer to the range of salaries, and many schools have more detailed scales, often based on the old M1, M2... I think most of the above posts have been advising that the OP negotiates.

drvs and wanet like this.
  9. sted16

sted16 New commenter

Thanks everyone, that gives me a good idea where to start in these conversations!

10. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Good luck!
    As most people have said there is now pay portability now so you will need to negotiate. Most schools have an idea about what they are willing to pay a maximum of so it's work checking first if they are willing to go to UPS in advance. Be very clear about why you deserve UPS eg wider school effectiveness and have a chat with your union.