1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

July start - will I be teaching?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by harperceh, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hey all,
    I am about to finish my PGCE and have a job to start in July. I start on the 6th then there's a few weeks before the summer holiday.
    I was wondering when I'm likely to start teaching? Straight away, after a few days, or after the summer holiday? I'm guessing it varies but if anyone has any idea what to expect I'd really appreciate hearing it :)

2. Hey all,
    I am about to finish my PGCE and have a job to start in July. I start on the 6th then there's a few weeks before the summer holiday.
    I was wondering when I'm likely to start teaching? Straight away, after a few days, or after the summer holiday? I'm guessing it varies but if anyone has any idea what to expect I'd really appreciate hearing it :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If I had appointed you to start on the 6th as a teacher, then I'd expect you to be teaching on the 6th and onwards.

You might get plans and bits for the first day or two, but not necessarily. Take something along to fill the day if necessary.

4. I started same time last year straight from PGCE on a reduced timetable....about 15 periods a week

5. I started on the 1st July for my NQT. Those weeks were full of 'induction stuff'. Meetings, training, setting up ICT stuff and planning for September. I had to ask to teach!!!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It entirely depends on the school. I have to say that when I've paid NQTs to start in July, I've had them teaching - and these days with school budgets being so tight, expect to be doing a fair bit of cover.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You're only likely to have your 2011/12 timetabled classes if the school re-allocates all teachers to their 2011/12 timetable once YR 11 have left in this school year.
    The likelihood is that you'll be used for cover (absent teachers and covering those released to undertake other duties like revamping SOWs).
    You will NOT be starting your Induction as you will not officially get QTS until Augut. You will also not be paid on the qualified mainscale until 1st September. You'll be paid on the unqualified scale, probably at just below M1 pay on the qualified scale.
    If they expect you to plan for your first week at the school, they'll be in touch to inform you about classes and subjects.

8. I'm starting my new post in July too. The school have told me I'll be going in to familiarise myself with the layout of the school, schemes of work, and to get to know the rest of the department - but not teaching. Interestingly, another student I know, who's got a position at the same school but in a different department, has been told that he'll be teaching during July, so I guess it's pretty variable, even within schools.

9. Ah, experiences and expectations seem to be pretty mixed. I'll e-mail the school soon to ask. I think I'd be surprised to teach on the first day, and surprised if I'm not teaching till September. I start on a Wednesday and will be moving house at the same time, so I'm quietly hopeing I won't be teaching that week. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in though :)
    Thank you all. Any more experiences, tips or anything appreciated. I can't believe I've nearly finished my PGCE!

10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Last year I started on the 12th and had the opportunity to observe my class with their previous teacher and get my classroom set up, it was amazing to have this time!!! I only taught bits and bobs here and there. I know that the NQT's the year before had their classes for the final week or two of term as those leaving that year were put on gardening leave or something. I would ask if I were you - it might be that you start on the Weds so have 3 days to find your feet and then teach from the following Monday.

11. I'm in a similar boat this year. I'm starting on monday next week at my new job after finishing my PGCE 2 weeks ago. I went in to get lots of info this week, and because they do start the new timetable once the y11s have left, I've got my classes (and it's only 16 hours due to no y7 yet). So, ring your school and find out what they want you to do and if they do want you to teach, get in their a bit earlier to get a feel Of where you will be teaching- especially if you're moving classrooms!

Good luck!

12. I finished my PGCE on the 10th of June, started work on the 13th and did nothing all day. On the 14th a teacher was sick so I covered lessons 1-4. On the 15th a teacher left and I got his classes. On the 22nd we got OFSTEDed. Is this typical?