1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

July activities week

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SCAW12, Sep 26, 2020.

1. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

SLT are asking me to start organising activities week in July, when the whole school is off timetable. What are other schools doing please? I would welcome any suggestions.

2. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

We do 2 days of educational trips, on-site activities run by staff or visitors, residential for yr7. Meanwhile yr10 do their work experience

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

It surprises me they're asking you to do this now-surely what you'd produce might be very different, depending whether or not we have a vaccine by then! Most of the things I'd normally suggest would be useless/forbidden right now.

4. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

We have already cancelled ours

Pomza likes this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

They are certifiable. Nothing can be planned for July 2021 with the slightest degree of certainty.

NB If they have 'asked' you, say 'thank you for the opportunity, I think I'll decline this year. Perhaps for 2022'?

TheoGriff likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are more important and more urgent things to do than this.

For you AND for them.

What are they doing, thinking about that at a time like this!

Not the best leadership, asking you to do plan for a non-essential event 9 or 10 months ahead.

Word it tactfully about feeling you are currently preparing for possible remote learning and wouldn't be able at the moment to give time and energy to next July.

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff

DYNAMO67, Corvuscorax20 and asnac like this.
  7. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Is it part of your role normally? If it is, then it isn’t unreasonable to ask you to start thinking about it - in fact it would probably be on your calendar to start getting plans in place now anyway. If it isn’t part of your usual role then say no if you think it’s an unreasonable extra demand.

If you are doing it is there someone in SMT you can talk to about what they would like you to do? If they are asking you to pretend none of this is happening and book overseas trips etc. that seems a bit daft. If they want you to book in visiting speakers (which are still permissible and could always move to online) and suggest a rough draft of onsite activities that doesn’t sound unreasonable.

Do you have contacts in other schools you can discuss ideas with? I’m in an independent school and we had pupils back before the summer when the calendar would normally be full of trips and activities. It wasn’t the same as usual but they were occupied.

8. SCAW12

Thanks all. I have started thinking about how it might look/be, and my LM is supporting me, in saying that it is too early to put definite arrangements in place yet. This is a TLR area of responsibility.

I am reluctant to ask staff to put time into planning external activities that may never occur, when so many are already exhausted from teaching in different bubble rooms.

TheoGriff and Morninglover like this.
  9. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Sounds sensible. Map it out and pencil things in but don’t waste time on things that seem very unlikely. Make a list of dates when things need to be followed up, diarise them and forget about it for a few months.

TheoGriff likes this.
  10. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

I cannot imagine that venues and coach companies etc will accept bookings. If they do will they expect deposits? Are schools and parents prepared to pay?

BenjaminBoxer and TheoGriff like this.
  11. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

I must be eating too much cheese late at night. I dreamt a school was asking people to do totally irrational things! I need a sober October... maybe not in the current climate.
    Firstly, as you have a TLR for this, play the game and suggest you do something linked to blended learning prepping instead. As Meggyd says, will people be accepting bookings? They might not be in business in the summer! Imagine the unhappy parents who've paid up money that is irrecoverable. I used to love activities week. Camping etc. How many schools actually have a full week now? Ours is down to 2 days as attendance slumps then. Haven't heard anyone mention next year but then our SLT are rational. They are, though, worried about attendance already. Come next year I doubt it will matter. Many families will have very little money, and if they are able to, will be desperate to break out on a family holiday somewhere. Is your site big enough to arrange activities on? Ask the kids. I suspect, though, everyone will want to get away from school. Can you arrange rambles in your area? Cheap for parents. Mindfulness activities? Everyone will be in dire need of some inner calm. If you have space, your PE dept might have some useful ideas. Good luck!

12. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

By next July, things will look very different and I suspect will be starting to look a lot more like normal.

I don’t therefore think it’s unreasonable for an SMT to ask staff to carry out planning for an event going ahead as normal- if only to have everything in place in the hope that it’s necessary.

Me and my SMT are certainly planning for a return to almost normal by April 2021, and I suspect others will be similar.

13. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

"Me and my SMT" OMG!!!

TheOracleAtDelphi and TheoGriff like this.
  14. SCAW12

Have added your great ideas to my list. Thank you!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bit like “My husband and I “ from Her Majesty.

Best wishes