1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Juggling the Workload! Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by foxymox, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I'm a recently appointed deputy head, Year 6 teacher with a responsibility for RE in a Catholic school, attendance and
    this year I will be the induction tutor for an NQT. Despite having been a teacher for nearly 20 years,
    I really struggle to keep on top of my work, whilst maintaining some kind of life. It's a constant battle and it
    seems to be getting worse. In fact, the thought of doing this for the next 20 years, fills me with horror and
    I'm seriously considering jacking it all in!
    However, before taking such a drastic step, I thought I might, at the start of a new school year, try again to see
    if I can make it work without being constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
    I would really appreciate any ideas from anyone who has found a work life balance whilst still jumping through
    all the hoops and doing everything expected. I suspect it's impossible but would welcome any thoughts
    nonetheless. I love my job but it's making me seriously depressed :-((. Thank you in advance.

2. I'm a recently appointed deputy head, Year 6 teacher with a responsibility for RE in a Catholic school, attendance and
    this year I will be the induction tutor for an NQT. Despite having been a teacher for nearly 20 years,
    I really struggle to keep on top of my work, whilst maintaining some kind of life. It's a constant battle and it
    seems to be getting worse. In fact, the thought of doing this for the next 20 years, fills me with horror and
    I'm seriously considering jacking it all in!
    However, before taking such a drastic step, I thought I might, at the start of a new school year, try again to see
    if I can make it work without being constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
    I would really appreciate any ideas from anyone who has found a work life balance whilst still jumping through
    all the hoops and doing everything expected. I suspect it's impossible but would welcome any thoughts
    nonetheless. I love my job but it's making me seriously depressed :-((. Thank you in advance.

3. Would you not consider stepping down from all the additional responsibility and just be a classroom teacher again...that would seriously lighten your burden!

4. Yes, Sparky, you're right and I've tried. Being a deputy was never part of my plan. I was acting up for a colleague who was seconded for a term which then became two terms. He's coming back in September so I expected to step down but the Governors asked me to continue as they felt I'd done at good job (at considerable cost to my mental health). I guess I need to learn how to say no.
    The RE co-ordinator post is huge in a Catholic school and I have asked for a change but been told there is no-one else who could do it. So that's ok then. Feel so trapped but I think I need to be brave and make some changes. But in the meantime...........

5. DFC

DFC New commenter

If he's coming back in Sept, does that mean school will have 2 deputies?

6. I feel for you. It always amazes me how teachers with extra responsibility are expected to squeeze 2 full time jobs worth of work, into a normal working week.
    Teaching alone, with the planning and assessment involved, is a full time job and then some. Your other responsibilities could probaby also be a full time job if done as well as you would like to!
    It would be so much better if we could hire people full time just to do the coordination side of it, and maybe some professional development/team teaching alongside the staff to support and develop teaching in their areas of expertise too.
    I know we are paid for it, but there simply isn't enough hours in the day is there?

7. I used to be terrible with my work life balance. Like you never said no and took on more and more. Then I literally just couldnt do it anymore.
    When I came back after 3mths off extremely ill I....
    started saying no if I needed to
    Decided what time I was leaving at- made it known and left at that time without accepting any guilt.
    Began working through my lunch in my room- marking and staying on top of the books instead of having everyone bend my ear so they felt better and I felt worse, and of course picking up naughty kids..I spread the load better
    Stuck to a rigid personal timetable- If I allocated one hr to do a plan then I made sure I worked hard for the hour and got it done...no procrastination
    Introduced more peer-assessing to cut down on marking when possible
    Learnt to release control to my TA to put up displays for me and back things...I used to do everything so it was just as I wanted it....I learnt this is not necessary
    Accepted help when necessary and was honest when I needed extra time/resources/support to get things done for whole school stuff....I was in class F/T last year and juggling extra stuff was hard. This year Im 60/40 so should be better! I hope!
    Good luck I feel for you xxx

8. Yes, Sparky, 2 deputies. Thanks for your advice. Some really good tips which I will try very hard to adopt, especially the saying no and procrastinating bits! Good luck to you too x

9. Not nearly enough hours in the day, Impulce. I have a young son and feel like I have no time for him which makes me so sad. Thanks for taking the time to respond xx

10. The thing that gets me is 90% of the stuff that takes up time outside of the classroom doesn't directly help the children's learning and is jumping through boxes.
    I wish wish WISH we would just be trusted...I would LOVE to teach day to day without planning anything formally, and just do what needed to be done as a result of whatever we had done that day.

11. I'm also starting this year with more responsibility and an aim to be more time efficient.
    1) Marking in breaks / lunch sometimes
    2)I've moved my desk away from my computer. It's facing a wall wth shelves so eveything's to hand and I've put my marking trays next to it. (no wanders/ checking email etc)
    3) I work well with headphones in and it stops people moaning about the day to you
    4) Some peer marking
    5)Say no sometimes (and mean it)
    6) Children love to tidy / set things out
    7)Once in a while leave school over lunchtime
    8)If you arrive early and leave late don't take work home too
    9)Aim to leave at a decent time at least once a week.
    Lets hope we succeed!

12. Good luck, Moonling. Thanks for taking the time to respond x

13. I wholeheartedly agree with the advice given! I am a deputy and find that being uber organised is the key to a semblance of sanity!
    Out of interest or pure nosiness, what is your proportion of teaching time vs management time foxymox?
    S

14. Scubaholic, last year I had to grab the odd hour here and there while my TA covered. This year, I'm having 2 afternoons non contact but one of those is to coincide with the NQT's release time. So better than before but it'll still not be enough! How about you?

15. I don't know your situation and I hope you don't mind the comment, but I was in a similar position some years ago and nearly cracked. My two children suffered and the guilt... don't even go there. In the end, I made a decision to go part-time, not got for extra responsibility etc etc. and spend the time with the children but also staying with a job I loved.
    One is now leaving for University, the other finishing school. The years in-between have gone with a flash. I have never, EVER regretted the decision to tail back my own potential career medium term in order to put my family first. Now, the jobs/management are still there and available to me again at a time to suit ME!
    Just a thought and my own personal experience. Don't look back and regret.