1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Juggling teaching and parenting

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by NettieO, Sep 22, 2019.

1. NettieO

NettieO New commenter

So let me just begin by saying that I realise I sound like a fuss pot, but this is something that is bothering me a lot. My husband and I are currently talking about starting a family in the near future. I work full time in a state primary and am trying to weigh up my options for balancing teaching with parenting. The main thing is that I don't want to be a mum who works full time. I am totally supportive of people who do, but I just couldn't bring myself to leave my child with grandparents/childminder/nursery all day five days a week. My husband says he could work from home twice a week but I'm not sure he realises just how busy it can be with a small child and how little work he would actually get done. So that brings me to asking the headteacher for a job share which I am almost certain I would be granted. However, I have never met a job sharer who wasn't stressed out and wishing they didn't have to do it, which certainly has an impact on the pupils they teach. The only other option I can think of is finding a part time role in a school that by nature only requires part time hours. How have people on here juggled work/home life with small children? Has anyone managed job sharing successfully? Has anyone completely changed roles to fit parenthood? Just really curious to hear people's experiences.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Tell your husband that working from home with a small child means working during their naps and once they've gone to bed at night - so very very part-time.
    (I can't help on the rest, as I was previously doing a mix of part-time classroom teaching and work-from-home stuff, and dropped the classroom teaching altogether and continued with about 7 hours a week of work-from-home, gradually increasing that later on.)

3. NettieO

NettieO New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I had a big chat with my husband today and we have worked out that we can afford for me to take a bit of a pay cut. I am now looking at HLTA work as a possibility. It would allow me to keep up teaching but without the paperwork until I was ready to start again properly.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

That is just not going to work at all. The child will need his full attention. Even if he only works when the child is asleep, the child might not sleep, or might not sleep regularly, meaning working hours would be very few, very unpredictable, and he might well need to sleep himself at that point anyway.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

good plan. I did this . However, be aware that there may be far more teachers competing for these jobs, than for teaching jobs. Also, you may want to look at TA rather than Htla, as Htla is quite often just a way of getting a cheap teacher

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I did a job share when my children were young. It was brilliant. The key to success is that you do need to be compatible with your job share partner . We had a mixed year 1/2 class. We split the curriculum according to our interests. We met once a half term to plan together. We were friends as well as colleagues, so meeting up was never a problem. We had a half hour change over catching up session on the day when I worked in the morning and she took over in the afternoon. On the odd occasion one of us was ill, usually we could cover each other. It was a great job and not at all stressful- definitely much less stressful than working full time.I would recommend part time work if you are lucky enough to be offered it and can afford it.
    I would disagree about the children being affected negatively . In my experience, they had two teachers, each one coming in fresh for their time in the classroom, each teaching what they enjoyed. It was a definite advantage for them and the school. I appreciate that I was lucky and that not all job shares work out so well.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  7. NettieO

NettieO New commenter

Thank you all for you replies. They are really helpful. At least I still have time to think things through. Just interesting to see how others have managed this.

8. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Everything that has been said is very good advice. The only thing I would add is also my experience which is that after maternity leave for a year, I carried on working full time. Yes its hard for the first 5 years but once she started school it became easier. And now she's in year 5 and it's just normal. Yes, you will be stressed, yes you have to be organised at school and at home, but you will cope. Having the full time pay means a lot too. It's not the end of life, it's just different.