1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Juggling Applying/Final Placement/Baby & not living where I'm applying - Help please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cupcakesrutherford, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi

Can anyone offer any advice?
    I've got my final (primary school) teaching placement coming up from December through to March 2012 and I'm hoping to find a job that I can start in September 2012.
    What sort of time frame - roughly - am I looking at for interviews? Will I be able to sandwich them all into a week or will it be a bit hit and miss-y and more spread out. Will I be able to control the interview dates to a degree?

The reason I'm asking is that my final placement is in Hertfordshire, but I'm going to be looking for NQt jobs in Surrey/Hampshire BUT until July next year I'll be living in Devon....

ARGH!
    So I'm getting a bit panicked about how to deal with the interview situation - especially because I'll need to figure childcare and somewhere to stay during the interviewing period.
    I know the job market is pretty competitive as it is, so I don't want to be any more awkard than needed to the schools I'm applying to. But I need to be as organised as possible given my odd circumstances!
    So any adivce would be ACE! [​IMG]

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well for a Sept start, jobs could be advertised anywhen from Mar- July. It's not impossible for a job to be advertised in Feb but, in my experience rather less likely as notice will be either Feb 28th or May 31st.
    Interview dates are totally at the discretion of a school, so no you won't have any choice on the date, though you might be able to negotiate a different time of day if you have travel issues? On the other hand, if you're on a final placement, your school will be aware you'll be starting to put applications in for jobs and will be able to make contingency plans, Though I'd try to avoid taking too much time out of your important placement and travel within a day if at all possible. Devon to Surrey/Hants shouldn't be too bad and Herts has good routes.
    I wouldn't stress out too much at present, but put your energies into your placement.

3. Thansk it makes me feel a bit better. I think I'm just getting worried about the placement, and trying to find a job, whilst looking aftr my baby and having to uproot for interviews/placement.
    But you're right, I should put my thoughts into the placement. But thanks for making me feel a bit better. [​IMG]