1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Judge bans a British father from taking his son to church... because his mother is a Muslim

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Mar 27, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It isn't an entirely unusual decision decision, as others have been reported in the past involving other religions.
    Usually it is based on the "best interests of the child" and often on the basis of continuity of experience.

That said I'm not sure I agree with such rulings (they are quite rare as most are resolved through mediation)

3. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

All religions and cults within those religions will claim that by adhering to a different religion or cult or not having a religion at all will mean the child will go to hell. The best interest of the child is to avoid the child going to hell. Well that is the story with islam and until very, very recently with nearly all of christianity.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm not sure the courts view it in that light :D

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

In Islam with a mixed faith marriage, the child follows the religion of whichever parent is the muslim. But this is in Islam, and as far as I am aware this is not a muslim country.

The judge should be doing what is best for the child regardless of religious requirements and expectations - but on past history her judgement might be deemed to be suspect: "The judge who made the ruling had courted controversy in 2014 when she said an eight-year-old girl should be moved to live with her father, a former drug addict with a criminal record."

wanet likes this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In Morocco I was told that in mixed marriages the child followed the religion of the mother until old enough to decide for themself.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Morocco has, or at least had, a less restrictive approach than, say, Saudi. It is definitely not unheard of for a father to have custody of his children in a divorce case where he is muslim and she is not.

InkyP likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

No. Secular court exhibiting institutional bias towards the wishes of the mother. Were father Muslim and the mother Christian then the outcome would still be in the mother's favour.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to teach a child whose mother was Irish and his father Turkish. He told me that girls were Catholic and boys were Muslim, maybe that's howt hey sorted it out in their family.

wanet likes this.