1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jubilee please help: DWP sent me a Teachers, Lecturers & Ancillary Workers Proforma

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supplybychoice, Jul 30, 2011.

1. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

The DWP have just sent me a Teachers, Lecturers & Ancillary Workers Proforma to fill in due to my claim for Job Seekers Allowance.
    Why have they sent me this form ? I have signed on for the last few summers and have never been sent this form before.
    Some of the questions asked are:
    • Please supply your contract of employment ? (Do I even have one? And for which agency?)
    • How many hours a year did you work for this employer ? (which agency ?)
    • Over how many weeks a year are you paid ?
    • How many paid holidays are you entitled to per year?
    • Do you expect to resume your employment? If so on what date?
    • Have you told you will be taken on again?
    • Have you signed a new contract yet?
    Do you have an ongoing contract or do you sign a new contract each year or term ?
    Jubilee, can you please help me with some of these questions or should I just ring the DWP up?

2. supplybychoice

The DWP have just sent me a Teachers, Lecturers & Ancillary Workers Proforma to fill in due to my claim for Job Seekers Allowance.
    Why have they sent me this form ? I have signed on for the last few summers and have never been sent this form before.
    Some of the questions asked are:
    • Please supply your contract of employment ? (Do I even have one? And for which agency?)
    • How many hours a year did you work for this employer ? (which agency ?)
    • Over how many weeks a year are you paid ?
    • How many paid holidays are you entitled to per year?
    • Do you expect to resume your employment? If so on what date?
    • Have you told you will be taken on again?
    • Have you signed a new contract yet?
    Do you have an ongoing contract or do you sign a new contract each year or term ?
    Jubilee, can you please help me with some of these questions or should I just ring the DWP up?

3. This is most unusual!
    A rapid reclaim for JSA contributions -based i.e. within 26 weeks of the last claim is by phone interview by calling 08000 055 04..followed by a face-to-face one at the jobsentreplus in your place of residence!The details previously given by phone are simply checked/verified, ID etc etc plus signing a "jobseeker's agreement.
    The phone interview takes no more than 20 odd minutes if details are the same as the last claim.......
    this pro-forma nonsense may be because of huge numbers of unemployed teachers???...in only certain areas??

4. supplybychoice

I last claimed JSA on 2nd September 2010 so its nearly a year since I last claimed so its not a rapid re-claim.

5. My advice is not to be intimidated by the JSA staff!
    You have paid income tax, NI contributions etc and have every right to make a claim. [Claims are based on contributions made <u>two</u> years ago].
    Answer their questions as succintly as possible and just play the silly new game of complying with more obsessional need for Governmental data...THINK: most MPs are now holidaying/lording it for many weeks without having to go through the nonsense of suppy teacher "terms and conditions" of work! [​IMG]
    In short these bureacrats are probably sick and tired of all the silly questionnaires, rules etc.Hence get them on your side and you should get your entitlement as you have been made redundant, no contract etc as most supply teachers are.

6. supplybychoice

The form asks me 'Please supply your contract of employment (if you do not have a contract please state why)'

I cannot find a contract. As a supply teacher should I have a contract of employment?

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you work for an agency you should have signed a contract and ldeally have a copy, it could be amongst the pile of paperwork agencies seem to like handing out when you register.
    The conditions will differ between agencies but should not affect (or is it effect? I always get the two terms mixed up) your claim to JSA.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Just back from a short break.
    I haven't heard of that form but I expect they are trying to establish if you have a regular pattern of p/t work.
    I would answer some of those questions with comments like .... random hours of work/ greatly ayreduced hours and no guarantee of work/ no regular pattern of pay (unpaid weeks and months due to lack of bookings)/ no bookings yet lined up for September and no undertakings from agency of being able to provide me with teaching work.
    If you get holiday pay (retained by agency and paid to you holiday periods, indicate the weeks when you received that holiday money and DIDN'T claim JSA.
    If you get the holiday pay as part of your daily rate and it is paid up-front, again link it to unemployed days/weeks in term time so that they can't allocate to school holiday eriods when you are signing on.
    Soem agencies require you to re-register at specific intervals, with a new CRB etc. I'd be tempted to tell JSA people that you are not re-registering at the moment as you can't afford the fees with little prospect of getting bookings.

9. supplybychoice

Thanks for the replies.

I've filled in the form but I can't find my contract.

Jubilee, do they really need the contract or should I try to get a copy from my agency.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Ask your employer for acopy of the original contract that you signed with them.

11. Just a few more comments on jubilee's:
    "Holiday pay" as per HAYS agency is simply the accumulated hours/pay that the agency <u>deduct</u> from your weekly pay when you were working!
    This has to be booked by you before it is paid to you during the holidays i.e. as of now. NOTE: it is not an extra! Should not affect ANY new claim for JSA.
    With HAYS all timesheets/holiday pay bookings are done entirely online.
    Also note that with new claims/reclaims payslips are NOT required.
    I brought in three paper copies to show the JSA interviewer but she did not even look/ask for them!
    <address>However payslips are required for the 16h < working/week ie. for the B12 form declaration of earnings. Always say ["paid one week/month in arrears!"]
    </address>

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think you'll find that since the government brought in the requirement for employers to provide holiday pay for p/t workers as well as f/t ones (a few years ago) , all agencies suddenly decided that the daily rtae they offered was actually a reduced daily rate + 10% holiday pay (or threreabouts). The agencies were thus able to hold back part of what used to be just the daily pay by designating it as holiday pay instead. It ultimately benefitted the employer, not the employee as the employer holds onto (and gets interest on) 10% of what used to be paid out every week.
    The agency worker should request the holiday pay at regular intervals, not just in school holiday periods but in weeks when they have no work or are not available for work in term-time.
    You can then claim JSA in term-time and holiday weeks when there is no more 'holiday pay' to be claimed.
    LA supply teachers still get their full daily rate up-front,which has always been 25% advance holiday pay. Again, potential JSA claimants could allocate that pay to weeks without work when they are not claiming JSA.

13. If one has accrued/accumulated holiday pay, then claim it immediately!
    Far better to have a lump sum in <u>your bank account</u> gaining interest than letting the agency keep it! What is the point in holding back on a claim for earned money that is rightfully yours?[​IMG]
    Always claim your total holiday pay entitlement ASAP and maximally (not in dribs and drabs)![​IMG]