1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jubilee please answer: JSA not enough Nat Insurance

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by newbieteacher2006, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hi Jubilee or anyone else who can help.
    I have been told that I cannot claim contributory JSA as I have not paid enough NINO for tax year ending 5/4/09. I earned circa £9k and paid tax and got a tax refund. I have checked wageslips and it looks like I only paid £315 national insurance. Does this sound like I have not paid enough National Insurance?
    What can I do to about this. I have tried to ring Job Centre plus but keep getting cut off as all the customer service people are busy.
    Any help would be appreciated.. Can't believe I have had to go and sign on and it was a waste of time.

2. Hi Jubilee or anyone else who can help.
    I have been told that I cannot claim contributory JSA as I have not paid enough NINO for tax year ending 5/4/09. I earned circa £9k and paid tax and got a tax refund. I have checked wageslips and it looks like I only paid £315 national insurance. Does this sound like I have not paid enough National Insurance?
    What can I do to about this. I have tried to ring Job Centre plus but keep getting cut off as all the customer service people are busy.
    Any help would be appreciated.. Can't believe I have had to go and sign on and it was a waste of time.

3. There are two types of JSA. Contribution based which you can claim for 6 months and it doesn't matter how much in savings you have, which you can claim if you have paid enough NI in the appropriate preceding tax year (which clearly you cannot) and income based JSA which everyone can claim although this is affected by any savings you have, I think it's something like over £6000, but don't quote me on that, your income based JSA would be reduced (due to income earnt on those savings). You don't need to panic just put your claim in and if you can't claim Contribution based JSA you will be put on income based JSA. It's all automatic. In reality there is no difference anyway as long as you are not a secret millionaire!