1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jubilee literacy ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 6677phil, May 28, 2012.

1. Hi - we've had a great literacy lesson today. Our theme was 'If I ruled the World' We debated therules/ laws that we would like to introduce and enforce - the children initially came up with ideas like - 'every day would be Christmas' But they soon got the hang of it when we delved deeper. we also listened to and read the lyrics of Tony Bennett's song which again made the children think about what the really improtant things in life are. this was followe up with a writing activity where the children had to write 3 paragraphs about what they would do if they were a world ruler. Written work was fantastic after all of the superb discussions.

Hope you have the same brilliant results!

2. I am also in foundation and also doing `The Queens Knickers` but I also have to get my class to re-inact the coronation as a starter for our whole school presentation on Friday afternoon! All my colleagues said, `Oh it will be so cute` they have never taught Foundation!

3. I don't suppose anyone knows of an online or powerpoint version of the Queen's knickers? I live in Dubai and we are celebrating the jubilee on Monday. I'd love to do this book with my class but I can't get a hold of it in time.

Thanks

4. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

We have just done national anthem raps - I stole the idea from this website http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2012/05/24/children-at-coventry-school-record-hip-hop-national-anthem-for-queen-s-diamond-jubilee-video-92746-31034795/
    Children worked in small groups and were given a copy of the national anthem lyrics. They then had to think of suitable rhyming couplets to put together their own rap, incorporating the national anthem. Beat and performance were also part of the success criteria. They really enjoyed it!
    (Well done Jazz!)

5. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Which Tony Bennett song? We're doing this tomorrow and I did worry that they'll come up with silly laws and rules. What kind of things did you say or did they write to guide them a little down the right path?

Thanks for the ideas so far.