1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jubilee bank holiday in June

Discussion in 'Personal' started by stuliet, Apr 28, 2012.

1. We aren't having it 'in lieu' either - although on adding up our days we are only required in work for 194 of them, so clearly we have been given the day somewhere!
    X

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We had an extra day added onto the Christmas break

3. Our County has given us the last Friday of the summer term off.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I am pretty miffed about this so called holiday as I have to take it from my meager leave. Only get 22 days less bank hols as it is. Ruddy government forcing me to take my hols when I don't want them .

6. As far as I know contracts usually say number of days leave you have plus bank holidays. It seems inaccurate that they are deducting it from your leave, and I would challenge the decision.
    Like other teachers here my school is working on a 189 day academic year rather than a 190 day one. I have no idea which day in particular is the day in lieu of the extra BH, but it's somewhere.

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

My contract is the absolute legal minimum of of 156 hours which is 22 days then minus all bank hols and a week at Xmas (i work 4 days a week) . Tis an absolute pain as it only leaves me ten booksble days in a whole year which I why I am annoyed at losing one. I work for a private training company I should add not a school .

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We are finishing a day early in july.

9. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

We're finishing on the Wednesday at the end of term - should have been Thursday but the Head's put in a couple of Twighlights.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm not enirely sure where the extra day is, but we are certainly only working 194 days this year

11. Ours has tagged it on to next weekend's bank holiday, so a nice 4 day weekend coming up!

12. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

We finish a day earlier at the end of the summer term.

13. Have just counted up and our extra day seems to have not been allocated. I will make some subtle enquiries this week.

14. Which LA do you work for? It might be worth checking HR. We had our extra day at Christmas so it wouldn't be lost in half term.

15. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Birmingham had an extra day added to Christmas (Tuesday 3rd January) to make up for this day - I know other LEAs chose last day of summer term but haven't heard of it being any other time.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Full time State school teachers will only be scheduled to attend school on a maximum of 194 days between 1st Sept 2011 and 31st August 2012. The extra day off work is the Jubilee date.
    In a normal school year the figure is 195 days.
    All Bank Holidays necessarily fall in school holiday periods. How else can all teachers and all pupils be off school on those days?

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Correction:
    Some Bank Holidays will be isolated Mondays, with the rest of the week in school.
    Others will fall in weeks when there is a half-term break or a between terms break. That doesn't mean that you are losing out on the Bank Holiday!
    Teachers spend the equivalent of 39 weeks in school and 13 weeks out of school.
    In other jobs an employee might be required to work on a Bank Holiday and will get time in lieu. That scenario does not apply to most jobs, teaching included.

18. 576

576 Established commenter

Life isn't fair!
    Employers do not all have to do the same thing!
    Welcome to the real world.
    However, if this is your biggest worry at the moment then you have plenty to be grateful for!

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no unfairness!
    Each school/LA selects when their 194 or 195 school days will fall, with none of the days on Bank Holidays.
    If one school/LA gets a Friday, followed by a Monday BH and then the rest of the week for a scheduled half term, the school/LA not get the preceding Friday will have anotehr day off at some point in the academic year when the first school/LA are still in school.

20. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

A bank holiday just for you, jubilee. [​IMG]