1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JSA question......Jubilee, are you there?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BelleDuJour, May 22, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've recently quit a supply contract that was to last until the end of term in July, but I quit becasue the school and kids were so awful it wasn't worth the money. Since then I've been doing day to day supply and next week I have a full week.
    I know after half term the supply drops off and I've taken advantage of cheaper travel to book a week abroad before the end of term.
    Now, I'm wondering if immediately after half term I can sign on for JSA. If so, what effect will it have if, say, I get one or two days work, and what will be the effect of my holiday?
    I know you are an expert Jubilee. What do you think? It's such an effort to get signed on in the first place!

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You can sign on after you return from holiday. Do it on the first weekday back. You have to be bale to say that you are looking for f/t work and are available for f/t work.
    You can apply on-line which allows you more time to consider the questions and input your response. They then ring you within 2 days to set up your interview at the Jobcentre.
    There are 2 types of JSA.
    JSA Income Based is Means-tested and looks at your savings (must be less than £8k) and all the income into your household (a household is you and a spouse or anyone you live with as though married, including civil partners). You cannot be paid this JSA if you have a partner who works 24 hors per week or more, even if they are low earners. This JSA sets what is considered to be enough for you to live on and then compares it with existing income. If, in any week, you RECEIVE p/t wages and they are less than your JSA entitlement, they top up your wages to JSA levels. You declare hours worked in the relevant benefit Week (retrospectively for 2 weeks each time you sign on) but it does not affect your JSA if you have not received any pay in either of those 2 benefit Weeks.
    If on this JSA, you can also claim Housing benefit (or help with mortgage interest after a qualifying period) and Council Tax relief and you also get free prescriptions, free dentistry, free optical and free school meals for any children (via LA) + fee free p/t courses at local colleges.
    The other JSA is Contributory and is not affected by any savings or by the income of any partner. You could win the lottery and still be eligible for it if you paid enough NI in the 2 tax years that they look at to assess you.
    For any new claim made in 2011 they will look at your NI record in 2008/09 and 2009/10. If you paid enough, you will be entitled to the JSA Personal Allowance of £67-50 if you are 25 or older. This allowance can be claimed for 26 weeks. When the money entitlement has run out, you can carry on claiming just for the NI credits OR you can close the claim (many do as it saves the Jobsearch hassle that they demand and also the fortnightly travel and parking to sign on for no actual financial support).
    If you then allow at least 12 weeks to elapse from your sign-off date AND wait for a new calendar year (in this case 2012) you can be assessed again for JSA Contributory based on your NI in 2009/10 and 2010/11. If you still have aqualifying NI record, you get another 26 week entitlement.
    As with the first JSA, you declare p/t hours for the Benefit Weeks when you worked and you declare any p/t wages in the BWs when you actually had the money in your account.
    My enquiries this year with their advice line assured me (on behalf of someone else) that on JSA Contributory you don't declare earnings that fall ina claim period IF they were for work done when not claiming. Tjose on Income BAsed have to declare any money received though, no matter when it was earned.
    The way that deductions are made from JSA varies according to how you are paid.
    Agency workers generally get paid on the Friday of the week after they did the work. On their first declaration of p/t work (using a B7 form from the Jobcentre ... given at your signing day when you mention having worked) they enter the hours worked ina designate benefit Week and enter NIL for pay received as it was not piad over in the same Benefit Week (BW). They then enter any hours worked in the following BW (which may be nil) and give details of the pay for the previous BW's work. The Benefits agency will then disregard the first £5 of the TAKE-HOME pay and will compare the remainder with your JSA entilement. If you had more from earnings, JSA will not be paid for THAT BW but will be paid for the BW when you received no pay.
    If the earnings (after the £5 disregard)are below the JSA, they top up your earnings to JSA levels.
    LA paid teachers tend to be paid at the end of the month following the work month. Someone claiming in September, for instance, would declare their p/t hours throughout Sept and get ful;l JSA as pay will not be received until the end of October. They will also declare their hours for October and get full JSA too until they reach the BW when their pay for Sept work is received. If they are still signing on in that BW, they declare the gross pay, tax etc and net pay. The Benefits Agency then looks at the monthly pay as a 4 week payment and disregards £20 of the pay. they take the remainder and divide it by 4 to get an average weekly remaindered pay and they compare that with your weekly JSA entitlement. The previous calculations are then made. If your JSA is £67-50 and your remaindered average weeklp pay was £67-50+, they'd pay you no JSA for 4 weeks. If the remaindered average pay were £40, they'd top it up with £27-50 JSA for 4 weeks. The calculations would change at the end of the next month when your variable p/t pay is declared.
    It is, of course, possible to sign off before the monthly pay comes in. The end of oct, for instance, falls in the half-term break and the claimant might be going abroad and HAS TO close the claim. They could then make a Rapid reclaim on their return in the following month and the previous month's pay will never have to be declared! They'd get JSA throughout the new month until the declaration of pay at the end of the month.
    All claimants have to sign off (temporarily) if they get 16hrs + of work in THEIR BW, not necessarily if they get 16+ HRS OF WORK IN THE CALENDAR WEEK!
    YOUR BW is fixed by your regular signing-on day. If it's a Wednesday, your BW runs from a Thursday each week and end on a Wednesday each week. At yoiur signing session, you sign to say that you have been looking for work in the previous 2 BWs and have either not worked or have declared any hours amounting to 15 hrs 59 mins and have either received no pay or have declared it.
    You could work the same sessions as another teacher claimant and they might have to sign off even though you would not have to. 2 people working 4 hours per day in the same Mon-Frid week could see one (with a signing day of Friday) having to declare 20 hours work in their BW and their claim would be closed as off the previous Sunday (or possibly the Wednesday when they were still under 16 hours). The other, with a Weds signing day, would declare 12 of those 20 hours in one BW and a minimum of 8 in another. They'd get JSA for the first BW and possibly for the next (depends on how many hours they worked in the Mon-Weds of the following calendar week) and would keep their claim open.
    If you are weekly paid by an agency, you will receive your pay whilst on holiday and you will take the payslip (and a few previous ones) to your initial interview bit it WON'T affect your JSA as it will have been received before claiming.
    You will then serve 3 unpaid Waiting Days, dating from the day you submitted your application (on-line or by phone) and would then get whatever JSA you are entitled to until you declare future pay.
    Waiting Days do not have to be served whenever making a Rapid reclaim.
    They have reduced the period when you can insist on only looking for your main job for your usual pay. It used to be 13 weeks and is now 4! After that, they expect you to be prepared to do any job that you are capable of doing, for the minimum wage if necessary. Just sign on the dotted line when you get to that stage as it is just a formality. An employer will not want a teacher doing a minimum wage job as they know you will leave as soon as you get a better offer and they'll be back to recruiting again.
    If you want more specific advice when you know your BW, post again.
    Watch out for a question on-line or by phone! They ask if you ONLY want to claim National Insurance Credits? Tick or say NO! I think it's intended to trip people up into not claiming JSA and by the time they realise, they've lost a few week's JSA. Say, is using the phone, that you definitely want to be assessed for JSA.
    Answer the questions and they will assess which JSA you can have. If you have no working partner and savings below £8k, tick for claiming Housing benefit or Mortgage interest help + Council TAX RELIEF.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I'm assuming that the long-term supply post that you quit was via na agency or the LA supply service.When you have to enter details of all work in the last 12 months and why the work ended, it's easier if you don't mention individual schools that you worked at on supply. Enter the agency as the employer or the LA supply employer. The reason for claiming is that work has dried up or hours have drastically reduced. They will contact the employer for corroboration.
    If the post you quit is highlighted at any point, you can state in any appeal (after a possible disallowance of JSA for X weeks) that your health was affected by the behaviours or that you had alternative employment lined up.
    When I worked for the Jobcentre, one claimant was disallowed and then got back pay of JSA after appealing. they took work in a chicken processing factory and kept throwing up with the smell and quit.
    Another point is not to put Supply Teacher down as your job/profession. Put down TEACHER only and you can tell them at the interview that you are prepared to take p/t work opportunities rather than languish on JSA until you get a f/t post. There are some areas of the UK where they think that all supply teachers are doing it by choice and don't actually want f/t work. They experience problems getting JSA. Avoid those complications by being simply an unemployed teacher.

4. BelleDuJour

Thank you Jubilee. I shall 'sign on' after I finishmy week's work next week. Very helpful stuff. Excellent! [​IMG]

5. BelleDuJour

I'm not going on holiday for 3 weeks after my next week's work. Can I not sign on then, and tell them which week I'm away?

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If you're not going away immediately after you work ceases (or reduces to below 16 hrs per week), then you can claim from the first day of unemployment. That will get the 3 Waiting Days out of the way.
    If getting JSA Contributory ONLY, you wouldn't need to declare any pay for work done when not claiming JSA. If getting Income Based, with all the other add-on benefits, you would need to declare the pay for your last week or last monthif you are still claiming when the money is paid to you.
    You would then sign off (using the inside pages in the booklet they give you at the interview ... with your signing dates and times) putting the day before you go abroad on holiday as your last claim day. You don't have to say why you are signing off if you don't want to. the minimum information is you NI number, name, last day and date of claim anddated signature. They then pay you the weeks/days of JSA from your last signing day until the last claim day. If you've done work/received pay in those weeks/days, you enclose your B7 part-time working form with the details. If you have not worked or received money, fill the B7 in with nil hours and nil pay received and return witht he claim closure information.
    Then phone up and do a Rapid reclaim on your return. You get a much shorter interview as they just re-confirm the original jobsearch contract.

7. BelleDuJour

Thanks Jubilee!