1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JSA Progress interview, Don't make me laugh!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Tilly80, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I feel your pain. I remember being an unemployed NQT and being helpfully given advice on how I could attend a course to "transfer my skills" (I tried explaining that as teacher training had been a career change I was already transferring some skills!). And, another one on how to complete and application form or write a CV - my previous employment had been in recruitment/HR where I had trained others to do this. Very frustrating - as is the painful having to sign off every time you manage to get supply over the 2 hours or something you're allowed to do.

Keep calm, keep trying and, if you can consider moving to another part of the country where there might be more jobs. That's what I ended up doing.

2. Thank you for your kind reply. As you can tell, i'm feeling pretty sorry for myself tonight.
    I actually moved to do the PGCE and be with my partenr as we were in a long distance relationship for 4 years. Relocating isn't really an option for unfortunately :eek:(
    Just wish there was something else i could do to show these people that i'm really trying. Everything i do ends up fruitless. I didn't spend the toughest year of my life studiying for a qualification to 'consider looking at other jobs'!!!!

3. I have a progress interview every month - I was told when I first signed on/met my 'advisor' that forget trying to get a job in education and get a job anywhere, so not to sit on my a**e all day and do nothing but claim JSA.
    I sooooo look forward to these progress interviews. Not.

4. i completely sympathise.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

The guy I spoke to was quite helpful at mine. though the 8 week progress interview mainly seemed to be him telling me what would happen at the 13 week progress interview. V odd. He explained I'd have to look for other jobs outside teaching. I said I'd put TA. He said that was the same job type. I argued. Are a doctor and a nurse the same thing? He said my best bet was to think of something I wouldn't stand any chance of getting and apply for it, that would satisfy the job centre and also wouldn't stop me looking for teaching jobs. Finally a realistic person at the job centre!
    Went back yesterday for a session to help me fill in application forms. The woman looked at my form, reworded 3 sentences, and commented on a couple of paragraphs that didn't make sense to her (saying "if I was a teacher, I might understand" yes, you probably would!) and then directed me to her organisation's website which had a "how to fill in application form" section. It was clearly aimed at people who can't spell their own name (sorry, a bit judgemental perhaps). Session was a waste of time.
    Found out today that for the 2 days supply I did back in September, because it was paid at the end of October, on a monthly payslip, was spread across 5 weeks, so they're deducting £40 a week of my JSA for the next 5 weeks, I have the princely sum of £11 pounds per week to live off. Lovely.

6. oh modgepodge,
    I feel for you. That is a terrible situation to be in. I said yesterday to my PA that the system doesn't work, and for out of work teachers, the sentiment is even truer.
    Indeed these little workshops they run are by no means aimed as people like us. I was told the last time i was signing, even before i did my post graduate, that i was too qualified to recieve any sort of help. I guess i should be greatful for that, but i can;t help but feel angry at yours and others situation. We are let down massively by a system and a government that doesn't care as long as we are jumping through all the hoops.
    I do really hope that the situation gets better soon.

7. Don't give up!
    This climate is very hard
    Oh and don't ask for interview coaching in fact don't ask for anything their bloody useless.
    Goverment only provide enough money for generic support services at level 3 . If they screwed their loaf/used common sense then specific services would be provided many more people would be in employment. Perhaps it's on purpose ?

God I bet some social researcher(s) up high are being paid a fortune to monitor current work climate.

8. oh and don't be bullied !

9. I'm having the same argument, so annoying!
    I know they are only doing their job but they are so clueless at times. I have the same battles every fortnight. The first is why I don't apply for EYFS and nursery manager jobs (I'm a NQT who did a KS2 PGCE) and the other is about the two agencies who post 'vacancies' on their system. I am registered with both agencies but when I ask them about these 'vacancies' they don't exist or have already been filled!

10. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Is one of those agencies Monarch Education by any chance? Even when there are no jobs advertised anywhere in my area, Monarch Education have about 40 adverts for "Year 3 teacher in XX" and "KS2 teacher needed in Y". I've sent my CV for some of them, as requested, and heard nothing. They clearly don't exist. Even the job centre advisor warned me about them!