1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JSA disaster - Are you there Jubilee (or anyone else)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by choccyicecreamyum, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I got a job on a part time basis (not in education) for which my hours were, by verbal confirnation, 1-10pm and 10am - 6pm so a total of 17 hours. However when I looked at the offer letter that arrived this morning my actual paid hours are 15. My disaster is that I "signed off" yesterday when I shouldn't have. Fortunately I have been able to get a rapid reclaim going although I assume that there will be many hours of sorting this mess out.

However there is a more important question than this - as this is less than 16 hours I assume I can now keep my claim open and so build up NI credits at least. Secondly although I will be working 15 hours I won't actually get paid for the next 4 weeks. Will I be able to still get JSA as I am not getting any money.

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

As far as I know you can work up to 16 hours and still claim JSA. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/DG_10018757

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

It's a bit misleading as although you can "claim" JSA if you are working up to 16 hours, you don't actually get any money, only NI credits. Or you might get £5 per week, I'm not sure.
    I've got my own JSA nightmare - they're now going to pay me £11 per week, due to 2 days work I did back in September. I filled in the appropriate form at the time but they don't have it so took my 2 days pay (£200) and averaged it over 5 weeks and have knocked £40 per week off my JSA!!! when in fact they should have knocked the full amount off one week then back to normal the next. The whole system is not set up for people with variable hours, grrr.

4. When i started work after 9 months searching after my undergratuate degree and had to sign off, i didn't get any help in the month it took to recieve my first pay cheque! They didn't seem to care either that i had to pay for the cost of travel, food etc. I was so luck to be living at home, but my mum is also on a low income and was struggling to help me out for this first month or so.
    I was told however that if i had been claiming for over a certain amount of time, they could have helped me out!! It's rediculous, i jump through the hoops, they can't help me because i've got too higher qualifications and when i fianlly get a job they tell me that because i did it within a certain amount of time they wont help me out 'til i get my first pay cheque.
    This was for a full time post though, not sure how a part time one would work, but i guess you'll have to wait 'til your reclaim goes through.
    Am now claiming for a second time after deciding to do the PGCE, and have a progress meeting with the Job Centre this afternoon... Not looking forward to it. :eek:(
    Hope all goes well with you. Keep us posted on your progress
    S4mm13

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

My apologies! :(

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Sorry, I didn't mean you were being misleading as such - loads of people throw around the claim "You can still claim JSA if you work under 16 hours were week" - including people at the job centre and probably the link you posted (I didn't look at it). When I started claiming JSA I was like, "Oh, so I could do 2 days a week and still claim?" and it took forever for someone to explain that "claiming" just meant going and signing on and getting NI paid, but I'd lose my £53, which funnily enough, is the reason I claim JSA.....
    To clarify, as soon as you do any paid work, anything other than the first £5 each week is deducted from your JSA. So if you earn £50, £45 will be deducted from your JSA. You can still go and sign on and they'll pay your NI contributions. If you work over 16 hours, they cancel your claim and if you stop working 16 hours again you have to start the whole process again.

7. Thank you