1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JSA and the supply teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jubilee, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

DWP are getting more stringent when assessing claims for JSA from supply teachers.
    Some areas of the UK have, in the past, seen supply teachers made to disclose their total work hours for the previous year. My information is that other areas are now following suit.
    If they work out that your average work hours over a 12 month period amount to 16 hours or more, they classify you as ineligible for JSA.
    It is therefore important to only declare the paid hours you have worked: never include the lunch break as that is unpaid for everyone.
    Check your contract and pinpoint whether you are paid for a standard 5 hours when working a full school day.
    Keep diaries and payslips so that you can proe your past work schedule.
    Total up all paid hours over a year and divide by 52, not by the 39 school weeks. Keep an eye on it as it would be gutting to have worked just the one extra day that tipped you into the 16hrs+ on average per week and dienfranchised you from £67 per week or more in JSA in unemployed weeks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks for that 'heads up' jubilee. Wouldn't be a problem for me as havent worked since middle last July and only 6 weeks prior to that, but haven't now paid NI contributions will still lose out on JSA.
    As you're the expert-Mind if I PM you with a little 'extra' problem I have?

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Go ahead with a PM, lara mfl 05.
    Your lack of NI in the past 6 months does not affect your current right to claim JSA Contributory. You could have made a claim before the end of 2011 and they'd have looked at your 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 NI record.
    If you make a claim at any point in 2012, they'll look at your NI record for 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.
    Your NI record for April 2011-April 2012 will be instrumental in calculating your JSA entitlement for claims made in 2013 and 2014.