1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

?Journals/Courses for Secondary School Welfare (PI) Staff?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by PalUK, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi - I've worked for 6 years as a Welfare Assistant (PI) at the designated secondary school for physical impairment in my area, with 3 years' prior work at a SLD school. Our last Ofsted was Good with elements of Outstanding, much of the latter for our work on inclusion.
    My line manager (teacher in charge) is keen for our small welfare team to gain more relevant knowledge/training with regards to our role and performance management. We have the usual training re manual handling of children, medications, etc. Other training tends to be ad hoc depending on new intake of students with particular needs, eg PEG feed, catheterisation.
    Is anyone out there in TES land in a similar role? Do you have access to any PI/HI/VI-specific journals or training? Do your local health professionals (physios, OTs etc) arrange any training?
    Many thanks

2. Hi - I've worked for 6 years as a Welfare Assistant (PI) at the designated secondary school for physical impairment in my area, with 3 years' prior work at a SLD school. Our last Ofsted was Good with elements of Outstanding, much of the latter for our work on inclusion.
    My line manager (teacher in charge) is keen for our small welfare team to gain more relevant knowledge/training with regards to our role and performance management. We have the usual training re manual handling of children, medications, etc. Other training tends to be ad hoc depending on new intake of students with particular needs, eg PEG feed, catheterisation.
    Is anyone out there in TES land in a similar role? Do you have access to any PI/HI/VI-specific journals or training? Do your local health professionals (physios, OTs etc) arrange any training?
    Many thanks