1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jonah Lomu dead

Discussion in 'Personal' started by racroesus, Nov 18, 2015.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

At forty. At least some of the images we shall see of him today will be of a young man in his pomp.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So young...

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Indeed. He was such an exciting player.

4. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Very sad news. This has been a truly bleak day,

5. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Sad and shocking. He stands out on the rugby world stage.

ScotSEN, lanokia and rachelpaula008 like this.
  6. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I know nothing of rugby, except it can be a dangerous game. However, I have a slight image of this man in my head, looking hale and hearty. What could have possibly happened?

I don't think it wise to speculate, except that a well muscled man has inexplicably died, although having said that when I was training, a young lad of no more than 20 dropped dead on an enforced 5 mile run, and all was left was a tree to remember him by. Stuff happens, and other stuff happens too.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It wasn't entirely unexpected @felltogroundinberkeleysquare

He'd had a very serious kidney disease for a long time. I understand the end came suddenly but he wasn't at all a well man for a very long time.

ScotSEN and rachelpaula008 like this.
  8. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

GDW yes, I vaguely remembered having read he was ill but only after today's news. Whatever, still very sad.

9. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I didn't know he had been ill and was very sad to hear the news earlier.

He was a Powerhouse. A brilliant player.

10. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Very sad. He was a a brilliant rugby player an a sporting icon. He'd had a kidney transplant 10 years ago but by all accounts was relatively healthy and had only returned home from the world cup. Reports I heard today is that he died in his sleep.
    I remember an opposing player saying that trying to haul him down was akin to a barnacle trying to stop a ship.

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

How sad-a tragedy at such a young age
    My abiding memory is Jonah picking up Will Carling who had the ball, and dropping him over the back line so no try could be scored. SOO funny!!
    He fought ill health for so long and was an inspiration and role model for so many.

12. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Listening to sports show now..his kidney transplant was from a living friend though it eventually failed and he had been on dialysis.
    They're playing excerpts from interviews with him..he was a lovely man who came through a tough early life to raise to the top of his sport.

ScotSEN and rachelpaula008 like this.