1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jon Snow gets real about English schools; at long long last

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BigFrankEM, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

I read the following today in the email-flyer they send out daily from C4 news:

Three years ago, a Government select committee report criticised shocking levels of sexual harassment and violence from students and the way those incidents were being handled. Now, Channel 4 News has obtained new figures that show the situation in schools in England and Wales has not improved, with more reports of pupils abusing other pupils.

It brought a wry smile to my face.

I recall having contacted JS in person some 5+ years ago when he jumped head first on to the bandwagon as to how much state school education in London specifically had improved vis-à-vis behaviour in the then recent past.

The gist of my email to him was to the effect that he was kidding himself/ allowing himself to be kidded.

The gist of his reply was that he was unwilling to be persuaded by my unsubstantiated and unfair claims in contradistinction to the evidence which he had seen with his own eyes in 2 schools which he named.

(Just checked, May 2012)

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The Channel 4 news item was scary.

3. letap

letap Occasional commenter

I hope you replied with:

You know nothing Jon Snow....................

HazyTechNerd likes this.
  4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

No, that was my opening gambit

More nuanced obviously; but reasonably direct.

(The balance between nuance and clarity is always difficult. Decades in the English state system seldom gave much scope for getting the balance right. "If you can't bring good news........... don't bring any !)