1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jon Snow and the London bubble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 30, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So Jon Snow has never seen so any white people?

In a country that is 90% white? ... maybe he needs to get out of London a bit more?

For sure, London is 58% white or at least it was in the 2011 census... so most likely he's use to seeing a diverse range of folks.

But the country at large, yeah it's mostly white folks. Was he unaware of this?

And yeah, London voted Remain, so most of the pro-Brexit crowd is going to be white folks from outside London. Pretty easy to get a million London folks riled up an a Saturday to protest for Remain. Harder to ship in Brexit voters on a Friday [work day] to protest Brexit.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What evidence do you have that the million Remainers who protested against the corrupt nature of the 2016 referendum (as now implicitly admitted by Vote Leave) were all, or even mostly, from London?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think considering how rude you get to anyone who disagrees with you... I'm just not going to bother Frank. You don't like my replies to you, I find you rude... so just walk away and have a nice Saturday. Sun's out here.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well, maybe if you'd thought it through before you posted, I wouldn't have issued the challenge you now shirk. You'd probably come across better if you'd said 'fair point, I just assumed they were' OR if you found some evidence to support your opinion.

NB If you don't want me to reply to you, simply use the ignore function. Of course, I'll still debunk your myths, but you won't have to read my posts...

anotherauntsally likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Why nitpick, OP? He obviously means "such a concentrated proportion of white people".
    In that case, still a silly thing to say, mind.

While I'm here, interesting to note Jon Snow's multi racial personal life and previous involvement in various rights movements. Relevant or not to this story, certainly relevant to his liberalism. (small "l")

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    FrankWolley likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Watching Snow during Brexit is, I admit, one of my more childish joys. He is so anti Brexit and the Tories all professionalism goes out of the window and he loses it - time and time again.

Without doubt the best was when CH4 invited a young audience to debate and to his absolute horror and disgust, most of the young supported Brexit. He nearly had a fit.

Television gold :D

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it was a very off thing to say. The country is mostly white. Any group of people from outside London and other big cities will be white, and any group of people taken from a national sample will be mostly white. Very strange indeed to comment on it.

Whites are minority here where I live, certainly, but I a, still not surprised to see them!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Simply an observation that those clowns marching in London were almost exclusively white and therefore not representative.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Well he said white so he must be racist. Isn’t that how it goes now?

Bentley89 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not in my world... and I doubt it's like that in yours.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Jon Snow parading his liberal credentials(just for a change).

artboyusa likes this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Thanks for posting this. Coincidentally I have just posted a Rod Liddle interview in which he also refers to a Remain 'bubble' of liberals, centred on London. I am for remaining in Europe but these gated attitudes are a real problem with our legislators and their journalistic lackeys.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  13. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"White people and their..."
    * shuffles deck, picks card *
    "...participatory democracy".

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh don't get me wrong. If I was in London I'd have probably toddled along last weekend as well. But yeah the smug superior attitude towards Leave leaves me cold.

15. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

He brought colour into it to make out that brexiteers are racist white folk.

The man is a disgrace.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not sure I'd go that far... maybe I'm feeling more charitable. Just that he clearly doesn't have much clue about life outside the M25.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You could say he didn't purposefully bring colour into it, rather, he reported what he saw.
    It is only your comment which links the word "racist" and "white"- it had not for one second occurred to me to think that way from his words.
    Your post is a surprising inference.
    Although I fully expected an "it's a disgrace" comment, purely for the fact that he alluded to skin colour.
    That's what alluding to skin colour seems to incite.
    Even though skin colour is visible.

Perhaps it is more accurate to say that the comment was guileless for not preempting this particular (and curious) controversy.

18. Vince_Ulam

19. Vince_Ulam

Given some of the white crowds Snow has witnessed it does sound, in this case, like code.

20. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

What has colour got to do with people protesting about Brexit?

Of course he brought colour into it on purpose. The next time he reports on a march or demonstration let's see if he comments about what colour the people are.

The man is race baiting imo.

Bentley89 and install like this.