1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jolly Phonics Planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Doodlem, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm teaching reception for the first time in september and am trying to get ahead in my planning. The school uses Jolly Phonics for all its phonics teaching but the only resources i can find in the classroom are the big books.

I've taught the sounds using Jolly Phonics when I taught nursery last year so i'm familiar with the scheme but i've not gone beyond that. I've always used letters and sounds previously (year one)

Is it better to teach all the sounds then look at blending/segmenting or work that in as i'm teaching the sounds

Also, how many sounds a week should I be aiming for? Is one a day then a recap on a friday moving too fast?
    I have a very able class of 16 children.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Hi

I'm teaching reception for the first time in september and am trying to get ahead in my planning. The school uses Jolly Phonics for all its phonics teaching but the only resources i can find in the classroom are the big books.

I've taught the sounds using Jolly Phonics when I taught nursery last year so i'm familiar with the scheme but i've not gone beyond that. I've always used letters and sounds previously (year one)

Is it better to teach all the sounds then look at blending/segmenting or work that in as i'm teaching the sounds

Also, how many sounds a week should I be aiming for? Is one a day then a recap on a friday moving too fast?
    I have a very able class of 16 children.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

3. Hi I have been teaching jolly phonics for the last 6 years. I usually give them 2 weeks to settle in and then start teaching the phonics. I usually do 4 sounds a week and then recap and do blending games on the Friday. I have always used the big books and then the songs along with it. I'm not sure what borough you are in but I use busy things on the LGFL as games as well as games from the letters and sounds.com website. I have recently started to use Jolly Phonics for the whiteboard which is a fantastic resource it has all the lesson on it with different games linked to jolly phonics. They also get a colouring sheet every night and they practise writing the letter sounds. I get parents involved by doing a workshop for them and teaching them the sounds and I also send home a sound book so the children can constantly go over their sounds. I stick a sound in this book and children draw a picture of something that has that sound in it. I hope this has helped just let me know if you need any more help.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Whether you are using L&S or JP or any other scheme the same principles apply
    Review previous teaching
    Teach new
    Practise - blend & segment
    Apply - read and write
    Asssess
    start blending and segmenting as soon as you have taught the first set of sounds
    I have always taught a sound a day (although originally JP was 6 a week)

5. Thank very much!

Thats what I was hoping

I like the idea of the parents workshop as have the feeling that the parents will want to be very involved in whats going on.

6. Hi Doodlem
    If you send post your email address, I'll send you my JP planning which changes depending on the group / class! (Only if it would help!) I tend to teach 3 sounds a week.

7. Hi there clarecrs,

I am an NQT just starting in Reception in September, I would love to see your planning for phonics to see if I'm along the right track.

Thanks very much, my email is eg88@hotmail.co.uk

8. Hi Clarecrs, Would you mind sending me your JP planning as well? I am an NQT starting in Reception and we are using JP. Thanks! jacqbrackin@hotmail.com

9. Hi, could I have a copy as well? Thank you

10. Pow

Pow

11. Would it be possible to have a peak at your planning? I am an NQT in Reception this year and have never taught using jolly phonics before!

my email is: clairewilliams86@gmail.com

Many Thanks!

12. Hi saw your post re your Jolly Phonics planning, could you also send it to me, christineevo@yahoo.co.uk

Many Thanks

13. Can you possibly send me the planning as well. It would be helpful to have a look at the way you structure it. I am moving to reception this year, at an international school in italy so obviously i will have to work at a different pace. My email address is alexhench@hotmail.co.uk

14. https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/phase-2-lesson-plans-of-letters-and-sounds-phonics-3014082/

If you type in phase 2 planning or phase 3 planning on here there are some excellent resources

15. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

So sorry to jump on the band wagon....I always hate to do this...pretty please can you send me your JP planning as well, Clarecrs? I would be very grateful :)

laura-day@live.com