1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jolly phonics-how many phonemes a week?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by charlotte82, Aug 9, 2009.

1. I know that the jolly phonics phonemes are organised into groups of 6, but when I moved to reception 2 years ago I was told that they do 3 a week-mon/weds/fri and thats what I have done since then but I am just wondering if people do more/less than this and how effective they find it? thanks

2. I know that the jolly phonics phonemes are organised into groups of 6, but when I moved to reception 2 years ago I was told that they do 3 a week-mon/weds/fri and thats what I have done since then but I am just wondering if people do more/less than this and how effective they find it? thanks

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A new sound every day and very effective.

4. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

'A new sound every day and very effective.'
    Msz - Can i ask when you do a new sound everyday. How do you introduce it and what is the follow up activity. We have been doing JP singing the song, introducing a new sound / action, write in air, write on back etc telling the story to accompany the sound and then a follow up activity in sound book I just find this so time consuming not bad for more able but not for the majority, Thanks

5. Msz

I tell my own story (sorry but I don't like the JP books) and introduce the sound /letter and action. We air write using both hands (hold own hand) repeating the moves to write the letter (using the same words everytime we write it) so for "s" we say - round and round the other way. It takes about 15 mins. All the children will complete a "rainbow letter" sheet which will be added to their sound book to take home - again they will say "round and round the other way" with each colour they use.
    At the end of the morning I will show them the letter again and ask who knows what sound it represents and we will learn the song.
    I may repeat this again at the end of the day if I think it is required.
    I start the following day by revisiting the sound already taught before moving onto a new story.

6. thanks for that msz- i was thinking about doing a sound a day- it seems to take sooo long doing 3 a week and i figure that it'll be a bit more 'pacey' if you know what I mean- your sessions sounds similar to mine and I know from other threads your chn are similar to mine so think I will give it a shot! thanks again

7. Do you do any blending and segmenting in your lesson introduction - and do the children then go on to practise doing their own blending etc?

8. Msz

I start blending and segmenting with actual letter/sounds in the second week once 5 sounds have been taught but I do a lot of oral blending and segmenting in circle time and as part of the general language provision in the setting.
    Things like "can you see the /c/ ar/ "? "pass me the /p//e//n/" "everyone /s//i//t/"
    As I said to maizie about half my class will struggle with blending and segmenting so I feel that this needs to be part of the daily continuous practice alongside the direct teaching sessions.
    My 1st direct teaching sessions (after 1st week) follow the pattern
    Review letter/sounds already taught
    Introduce new sound
    Blending using already taught sounds (whole class)
    Segmenting using already taught sounds (whole class)
    practise reading or writing words/sentences (individual)
    Learn letter formation - air write - write on individual white boards - write on paper
    other teaching sessions will include a review of todays sound and blending and segmenting games some will be oral some written some using magnetic letters or phonix cubes.
    I spend quite a lot of time each day in the first half term on phonics and language activities because this is what my children need (identified weakness from nursery) it might not be the same in every school if children arrive with better speaking and listening skills.

9. Great to hear the importance you place on teaching phonics, especially in the early stages. I'm with you all the way! Good literacy is the key to all learning.
    Re poor langauge skills when children start school- we are introducing a language enrichment programme for all children Nursery upwards, in line with Ruth Miskin's Read Write Inc programme- left JP over 3 years ago as it didn't go far enough, quickly enough in an integrated literacy way.
    I <u>highly</u> recommend this programme as it has made an amazing impact upon children's skill levels and ultimately attainment (50% level 3 readers KS1 SATs)
    http://www.ruthmiskinliteracy.co.uk/

10. What kind of blending and segmenting games do you play?
    I'm keen to play lots of whole class and group games, in the past on placements I have played the noisy phonics game where the children make the sound and action of the letter on the card they are given and join together with other children with the same letter. Most of the other games I have played involve children sorting objects into their initial phonemes so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

11. Msz

I'm not a fan of Read Write Inc in FS and KS1 but that's just my personal preference.
    I do like Debbie's Phonics International and used lots of the resources last year. (I will start using them from the beginning of the year so I can give Debbie better feed back )
    My head wants me to continue using JP as we get good results and parents like it. Having said that I only use JP actions and order not the other resources. (I did start using L&S order when it was published but decided I prefer JP ) I also use Big Cat Phonics daily on the IWB and Big Phonics games.
    I think JP like any programme is as slow or fast as the teacher delivering it. We don't teach phonics in nursery so I introduce JP fast. My new class will learn the first sound on their first day and a new sound everyday. My expectation is that ALL children will be secure in single phoneme grapheme representation by Christmas and that others will know all 44 sounds. Once these are secure I move onto alternative ways of writing the phonemes. My last class left me all knowing the 44 phonemes and able to blend and segment ccvc & cvcc words (minimum) 7children were reading purple level reading scheme books 1 child had just moved onto lime level and another group were reading orange/turquiose books. Same group of children (mainly boys were also writing at NC levels.
    I also use Action Words for "tricky words" only ... I don't teach the HFWs that are straightforward

12. What are 'action words' Msz?

13. Msz

It's an approach developed by a school in Saltburn to teach the HFW (I only use some of the words) each word has an action which just helps some children to remember. "the" like JP /th/ is sticking your tongue out,"said" make the action of mouth opening and closing with your hand, "no" shake one finger...... I made a really basic power point which my children would use on the IWB. I found it really useful last year with an EAL child. PP is in resource bank

14. Msz

Oral blending and segmenting

I Spy
    instead of the normal I spy something beginning with we spell out the word
    I Spy a /c//a//t/
    I spy a /m//ou//s/
    I spy a /c//ar/
    Simon Says
    Again instead of saying the word we spell it out
    Simon says /s//i//t/
    Simon says /j//u//m//p/

Blending for reading
    we use some of the activities from L&S such as trash or treasure sometimes with word cards sometimes using the IWB (both Phonicsplay and LCFphonics have free versions) sometimes I write the word and the childre do a thumbs up for a real word or a thumbs down for a made up word (once they get the idea a child can write the word or use magnetic letters for the rest of the class)
    Loop cards work well the child reads out the word - sounding it out then saying the word and the child with the matching picture holds it up then reads their word until the chain is completedWhat's Lost
    What's lost? ( a bit like Kim's Game)
    A collection of CVC objects
    a list of the objects plus an additional object (I write the list on the whiteboard so I can add words )
    children read the list and decide which object is missing
    Silly games
    I spead out word cards face down and each child takes a turn at firing a foam rocket (ELC sale) and picking the card nearest to where the rocket lands and reading it
    Similar with a car ramp child parks the car and selects the matching car to read
    Segmenting
    Jumble Sale
    A selection of items with CVC names
    Child selects an item spells out the word and says the name of the item

15. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Msz, I have dragged out an old thread here I know. Hope you don't mind. Earlier on in this thread you report some fantastic reading outcomes for a reception class you had a few years back.
    Do you know if your outcomes replicated in many schools or are you head and shoulders above the majority?
    Having made such outstanding progress in reading, are your children flagging in any other EYFS area as a consequence? I haven't phrased this very well, but I'm trying to ask if you think there are any pitfalls to doing so well with the reading?
    Does your school maintain the edge that you have created in reception, or is everything much of a muchness by age 11?