1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Joining an Agency

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by clarelou_x, Feb 24, 2016.

  1. clarelou_x

    clarelou_x New commenter

    I'm taking a settlement to end my contract on 30th April this year, due to my subject being dissolved in current school, and don't see the point in fighting redundancy as will only get a bad reference from head. I'm currently on maternity, but looking to join an agency to help me find a long term, permanent position. However, I'm not sure if this is best way to go, I have applied to jobs on TES, but do many schools use agencies nowadays to recruit for permenante positions?

    Also I obviously need a DRB, each agency is saying I must go through them for this and subscribe to the update service. Do I need one if not doing supply? Also can I just have one that covers a number of agencies. Can I apply as an individual or so I have to go through the agency.

    Many thanks
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Good news about the baby. Congratulations!

    Now about agencies.

    They claim all sorts of things, but . . .

    But if an agency introduces you to a school for a permanent post, they charge a school a finder's fee.

    Of several thousand pounds.

    So, two candidates, even Stevens for experience etc. , but one will cost £2-3k more. Which will the Head go for?


    As for the DBS , I'm not in the know here about how it works with the agencies. Why not ask on the Supply forum?

    Best wishes

  3. KieranBurke

    KieranBurke New commenter

    Morning, congratulations on the baby.

    I came over to work in England via an agency, engage education, and the whole process was fairly straightforward.

    If you want long term supply, you'll have to sign up to one agency (going the multiple route is never good long term). When they place you in a school, usually for several terms with the likelihood of permanent employment, make sure to ask about being paid for planning and marking.

    As for DBS, you just get it done by your agency. Don't subscribe to anything, never heard of that before.
  4. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    You can often get your DBS done for free via an agency.

    It's tough to get a permanent position via an agency though because of the finders fee although some will waive it.
  5. KieranBurke

    KieranBurke New commenter

    Some agencies have a 12 month clause, wherein you can leave for free if you've been at the same school for at least 12 months.
  6. splinters

    splinters Established commenter

    Only an employer/potential employer (of which and agency is one) can apply for the dbs and they usually charge £44 for it. However, once you get the reference number subscribe for £13 a year to the update service and you need do nothing more.
  7. GLsghost

    GLsghost Star commenter

    ***Discrimination alert***

    As a woman on maternity leave, you should have been prioritised before anyone else for any suitable alternative employment without having to apply for it.

    If this is relevant to you, there would have been a suitable post available and you were not offered it, you will have been automatically unfairly dismissed.

    Before agreeing to leave with any settlement, please check with your union that they have taken this into consideration on the facts of your case.
  8. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Have you already been goven formal notice by the school? As of today, you would be entitled to stay until 31 August, (assuming STPCD) if this has not happened. I can't quite understand the rush - schools tend to drop subjects at the end of the academic year. When you say a settlement, do you mean redundancy or a settlement agreement? The former seems more logical if a subject is being ended. I note @GLsghost 's point; is there anything that might be suitable available at your school?
  9. clarelou_x

    clarelou_x New commenter

    I'm worried about posting too much detail, especially as my name seems to keep posting even though I keep trying to change it for my user name. I'm sure there is a case of unfair dismissal, but I also feel I make my chances of employment elsewhere difficult if I fight it!

Share This Page