1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Joining a Union

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Marr2011, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Marr2011

Marr2011 New commenter

Hello all,

Hopefully this is the right place for my question. If not, please do let me know! I am about to graduate from university and embark on the Teach First LDP (which I am sure will be met with a mixed response here!). With everything that has been going on over the last few days at the NUT and NASUWT conferences, I have been thinking that perhaps it is worth me becoming part of a teaching union over the next few months. My question is, is it something worth considering for a trainee teacher? If so, how do I decide which union is right for me?

Thanks for your help

2. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

YES!
    JOIN A UNION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! :p

It doesn't matter if you are not fully qualified, you will be in charge of children next year and if anything goes wrong you need to know that a Union will support you to the best of their abilities.

Just visit each of the Union's websites and you will get a flavour of them. There will be offers for trainee teachers, so you could even join more than one for the duration of your training and then pick your preferred option once you qualify. I would personally limit the search to NUT, NASUWT and ATL.

I hope this helps. :)

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Exactly the right advice. Teaching is the most unionised occupation in Britain, I believe (I saw a figure of 97% recently). You need the protection of a union if anything goes wrong. You can also get some CPD from unions, and there are all sorts of other benefits. Unions also have (despite what some cynics might say) at least some input into educational policy.

4. Snoopy1975

Snoopy1975 New commenter

Trainees can join all of the unions and then decide which one to pay for by the end of their year. Check out the websites of the main unions if you're unsure but people tend to join one of the main ones and sometimes the one which dominates in their particular school. See what suits you but you absolutely MUST join one to protect yourself in terms of lobbying for rights and legal representation if something goes wrong (and it can for the best of us).