1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Joining a union??

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by teacher2TA, Aug 25, 2010.

1. I'm not opposed to striking per se. I just don't like it being a first port of call or a tool used in pursuit of greediness as in a recent incident locally when a group of well paid people went on strike because they were only offered a 3% pay increase, when many others are facing pay freezes and redundancy. I also have no problem with the GMB coming recruiting - I would just have liked them to be honest about it. I was asked to stay after hours for a meeting about changes in working practices, about which he talks for approximately two minutes before launching into the benefits of joining the GMB. And he didn't even major on the professional reasons - just on the fringe benefits. I probably will join a union, for my own protection apart from anything else, but I hate being bulldozed and I generally prefer small organisations to large ones.

2. Even if you join UNISON or GMB there is no obligation to strike. There was a strike over pay 3 or 4 years ago and even though there are over a dozen union members in my school, I was the only person that went to strike.

Please - everyone - join a union!

3. I wouldnt bother with Unison or GMB They have no concept of the roles of those of us working in education. They dont care as they see us as being better off than some of the other council workers. You need to be in an education union. I would recommend ATL.

4. That is completely untrue! Are you on commission for ATL? (The union which cannot negotiate pay and conditions for support staff)

5. ATL cant but GMB and UNISON wont! I would rather have a union which understands my role and is prepared to come into schools and help with problems than one who is not interested.

6. Hi,
    I would definately recommend any TA to join a union. The most popular one is Unison. They have come into my secondary school to support us while we were trying to sort out an Equal Pay Claim (still unresolved!), but as support staff, we are vunerable to cuts in pay, hours etc. We need someone to support us and and fight our corner. Good luck.