1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Joining 3 reception classes

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bow961, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I currently work at a school with 3 reception classes. At present the classes work independently of each other, but I am looking at sharing areas, staff and some group work as well as outdoor provision - effectively working as a unit as we have so many children within it. Has anyone got any examples of timetables etc of how they run their school day? Do you allocate staff to specific areas for the week? Would greatly appreciate any advice!

2. Don't know if it's relevant, but we have two R/Y1 classes and work as a unit. The rooms are directly opposite each other so the chdn have free access between the two rooms. That works well as it means that (as we don't have huge rooms) we don't have to repeat areas. Eg there is sand in one room, water in the other, junk modelling in one room, creative area in the other, small world in one room, construction in the other etc. We do have writing and reading areas in both rooms and chdn are encouraged to take resources between areas if they like. We plan together using chdn's interests and take responsibility for enhancing the areas in our own rooms. We also group the chdn across the two classes and share an HLTA who may be allocated to doing a group task with specific groups or taking some groups to the outdoor area (Unfortunately, we don't have direct access to it) or doing 1:1 support with individual chdn. I love it. It works so well and it's great having other people to discuss / evaluate with.