1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Joined up thinking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I took my sweetheart to A&E yesterday, because a few days previously she'd tripped up on the pavement when out walking the mutt. She came home with a few cuts and grazes and a painful wrist, which she thought would go away, but when it didn't, we went to have it checked out.

It took up four hours of valuable NHS resources to have her thoroughly checked over, amid all the other crisis' the A&E dept were dealing with. As an interested observer of the comings and goings; and how seriously they had taken my sweetheart's fall, since at her age, it may have been more than a trip that caused her to fall, I left with the feeling that anyone who is critical of the NHS, ought to try breaking their neck, for the opportunity to have a chance of using the service first hand, rather than just read about it in the papers.

Anyway, while my sweetheart was having her ECG taken, the technician asked how she's come to injure herself; and when told, remarked that they have to deal with between 10-15 trip injuries per day, from poorly maintained pavements. That's just one A&E dept.

One might ask whether the NHS will forever be needing to ask for more funding if the insanity of not maintaining our pavements properly continues, just to keep pace with the ever-increasing personal misery this brings us, or whether there's some bright spark in government who is capable of joining the dots and says "Fuxache! Why are councils being starved of the money they need, when the money needed to top up NHS expenditure could be better spent on maintaining our infrastructure so people didn't need the NHS to repair them.

It would all change soon enough if Gove went arrse over head in Downing Street again and needed to be carried off on a stretcher. Better still if he came round our way campaigning on behalf of the local waste of a skin Tory, so we could get our pavements repaired.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30412435

You're very late to the party here. Why didn't you go and fix the pavement yourself, you lazy blighter? They've got it sorted in Devon. Potholes. Volunteer pothole fixers.

You want a nice level pavement for your beloved? You're not helpless, are you? Surely you can sort it out.

Like Reg says (supremo of the Devon pothole fixers). We're British! Joined up enough for you? ;)

colpee and Duke of York like this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Hope Mrs DoY is feeling better.

grumpydogwoman and Duke of York like this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I won't be happy until the Cabinet are forced to wear virtual reality trousers, so that anyone who goes arrse over head on unmaintained pavements gets the chance to let the Cabinet know what a kick up the arrse feels like.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Nah - only Downing Street would be resurfaced.

Duke of York likes this.
  6. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

Policy demands a crapped out pavement so that the maintenance can be privatised. See Sheffield treescape. For reference to the policy success.

Duke of York likes this.