1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Join this open letter from London Headteachers to the Mayor - end London's toxic air pollution

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by neiljones78, Oct 21, 2016.

1. neiljones78

neiljones78 New commenter

Headteachers from across London are signing a joint letter to Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, to make a public call for safe, clean air for all our children.

Please follow this link to add your name: http://goo.gl/forms/wNV2ROz3hsO55gHv1

London’s air is toxic and illegal. Almost a quarter of school children in the capital are exposed to levels of air pollution that are so high that they break legal limits. Children and young people are the ones who are most vulnerable to poor air quality. From asthma to effects on mental and cognitive health - polluted air is bad for children. We know that early age exposure to air pollution can cause life long impacts, including reduced lung function, harm to the heart, brain, hormone and immune systems, and increased risk of lung cancer.

Thankfully, Sadiq Khan has recognised that this is an urgent issue, and has taken initial steps in launching a series of consultations on new measures to solve the pollution crisis.

50 headteachers have already added their name to the letter to the Mayor, calling on him to use his powers to clean up London's air and put in place the measures necessary to ensure our children can breathe safe, clean air. The letter will be presented to Sadiq Khan in the coming months and hopefully published in key media. Please consider adding your name here: http://goo.gl/forms/wNV2ROz3hsO55gHv1

If you have any questions on any of the above, please don’t hesitate to be in touch.

Yours,

Neil Jones

Air Pollution Team | Greenpeace UK
    neil.jones@greenpeace.org
    www.greenpeace.org.uk

2. install

install Star commenter

Its all a bit late..do all of these Headteachers that have signed use cars and public transport in their everyday lives?

3. neiljones78

neiljones78 New commenter

Hi Install,

I agree, something should have been done about this a long time ago, but better late than never! If we carry on with business as usual, almost 10,000 Londoners a year will continue to die early - and, as I mentioned, children are the ones most vulnerable to air pollution. There's some great momentum around the issue right now, so it's definitely the time to be driving ambition for the best solutions.

As a teacher, I know many headteachers that use public transport and some who cycle, but what we really need from the Mayor is a better infrastructure to promote these things, and to make TfL's busses even cleaner.

Neil

4. install

install Star commenter

I am just conscious of a potential level of hypocrisy as well as the level of 'pollution'. A letter is all fine and well - but if some of the people signing it are using their own cars for example that seems 'a bit rich' ....

This seems to be a case of : Do as I say - but not as I do ..

Rather than making demands on a Mayor -as leader- maybe people should make demands on themselves as leaders? How many primary schools have car parks for example?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016