1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Johnson's prorogation of parliament deemed 'unlawful' by UK Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Sep 24, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It has been mentioned in several related strings here but nobody has started a string precisely for this mornings momentous Supreme Court ruling.

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/boris-johnson-supreme-court-ruling-dle-intl/index.html
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rliament-prorogue-latest-corbyn-a9117696.html
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49810261

I am so gratified that Boris has been fairly and squarely made to sit on the naughty carpet by the UK supreme Court. I have been glued to my telly all morning and I'm afraid I have to admit to one of the sins of gloating but --- YES!

Unanimous decision leaves no doubt. OK Boris apologists, what have you got to say to the 11 highly skilled and experienced judges who have shown over the years to be capable and able to judge on matters like this? No -- you can't say anything! These judges know so much more then the rest of us, me included, and have come to the conclusion that Cummings (although not mentioned), through Bojob had no legal right to do what they did.

Chew on that!

Alice K likes this.
  2. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

This will bolster Boris at the polls. How can one lot of so-called judges differ so much?

BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Bojob won't be going to the poles. He has stooped one step too low. And don't forget he still has to answer what he was doing at his pole dancer friend's flat those times he visited and why he got her onto several overseas jollies and what she had actually done businesswise to merit being given £100K.

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Boris wont be going to the poles because the opposition will not vote for a general election. The reason for this is because they know they will get hammered, it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

BelleDuJour and border_walker like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The reason the opposition will not vote for it is that 18 October is a significant date, as explained here.

MAGAorMIGA and schoolsout4summer like this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

After today, I don't think that Johnson should just resign from PM but also from MP. He has shown himself to be totally incompetent in the role of politician, but there is also the rest of the pole dancer "friend" story to come out. Whatever that may be, it can not be good when someone with the lack of business experience that she had, gets government grants to the value of £100K and invited on several trade jollies for which she had no qualifications and was actually denied a ticket until Bojob put in a word for her.

This non elected PM is an embarrassment to all of us, as the person who represents us to the rest of the world.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

“It was Boris Johnson who took the decision to prorogue Parliament.

It was Boris Johnson who acted unlawfully, and I do not say this lightly, but it is Boris Johnson who must now resign.

It is of course possible for a Prime Minister to continue in office if they are unpopular.

It is even possible for a Prime Minister to survive in office if they are not competent.

But no Prime Minister should believe they can act with impunity and remain in office when they have acted unlawfully in the manner and in the circumstances set out so clearly by the Supreme Court today.”

Nicola Sturgeon. I agree with all her comments. The UK loses any shred of credibility it was clinging on to if he stays.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I may never have agreed with Nicola Sturgeon before. I agree with all her comments.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It still amazes me that Tory party members voted for him. He was given the prestigious job of Foreign Secretary by May and he screwed it up badly. Whatever happened to past performance is the best indicator of future performance? It's not like it's even the tiniest surprise that he's screwed up again.

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Thanks everyone - you know who you are.

[​IMG]

monicabilongame, TCSC47 and Alice K like this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

He made a cockup.
    Truth will out.

monicabilongame and TCSC47 like this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@schoolsout4summer It was Joanna Cherry of the SNP and her (cross party) colleagues who started the whole ball rolling in Scotland before it was then taken to the Supreme Court.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  13. schoolsout4summer

14. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

This is the real reason for the urgency.

Would even the hardest brexiters among the ordinary public object to a three month delay if it meant millions of extra tax revenue to help fund health and public services after brexit? We've waited three years, another three months for such an economic boost as that has got to be worthwhile, surely?

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

This is what really gets me. This is why the likes of Dyson, of over priced vac cleaner fame, and Martin of that crummy Weatherspoons and many others supported Brexit. They knew how much they had been screwing the rest of us by not paying their due tax by hiding it abroad. But why has this not been shouted about more? And why don't so many people seem to care that they are screwing us all. We all have a duty to pay tax and it is only fair that those who earn so much and consequently get so much more out of our society, pay more for it.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The 2019 Finance Act passed by Parliament has already ensured it comes into force January 1st.
    The rules apply to large multinationals not individuals. In 2020 it covers hybrid mismatches and transfer of assets like IP.
    The EU rules themselves are part of OECD BEPS which apply to OECD countries both in and outside the EU.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

On the matter of resignations,the buck of course stops with Johnson and he should go, but from my all-be-it limited perspective and knowledge, Cummings the plotter should also go - and never return! Having found out that he was Gove's adviser in Education with all that tells us about him and the harm he has done to teachers in the UK, then I feel no guilt at my schadenfreude over his demise.

18. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

My apologies for this, but I really can't resist.... (a) he's not going to the pole because that particular individual is no longer linked to him or (b) he's not going to the Poles because he's trying to leave Europe...

TCSC47 and BelleDuJour like this.
  19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No, trips to the Arctic and Antarctic would be seen as a little superfluous at this time of national crisis.

(Bug *er, Skeoch beat me to this gag two posts previously!:()

TCSC47 likes this.