1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Johnson's prorogation of parliament deemed 'unlawful' by Scottish court.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 11, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Quite right too! Well done the Scots!

Alice K, Laphroig, sodalime and 3 others like this.
  6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Quite so.

The Scots have a long history of standing up to Tory spheriods.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Well done to Joanna Cherry and her team. I wonder what will happen at the Supreme Court though...

Alice K, Laphroig, sodalime and 2 others like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The law, of course, is impartial......

TCSC47, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Twitter thread from David Allen Green, commentator and contributing editor of the Financial Times:

"On the astonishing Scots law case. Some general points - Scots law is different, sometimes very different to the law of England and Wales This includes a different approach to constitutional law matters. That is why the Scottish court is able to take a different view on the legality of prorogation to that of the English high court. English constitutional law has been contaminated for a century by the parliamentary absolutism of Victorian jurist AV Dicey. Scots law is free of that. This means something which is unconstitutional can also be unlawful in Scotland, even if held to be lawful by High Court in London (Same in theory with Northern Irish courts) That is why I and others would have put the chances of the action succeeding in London as zero. And that is why cannily the action was launched in Scotland, where judges and the law would be far more receptive.
    So huge kudos to@joannaccherry and other parliamentarians for taking this case forward And congratulations to @JolyonMaugham, with whom I often disagree, for his important role in bringing this case."

Alice K, sodalime, afterdark and 7 others like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

IF Brexit happens, I can see a number of English people moving to Scotland. Such a sensible country in many ways. If only you could get rid of the midges!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I would hope they erect stocks outside parliament and sentence the entire cabinet to a week in them while we can still get fresh fruit and vegetables.

13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I’m holding out hope that my Scots parent will entitle me to an EU passport when the union breaks up.

Alice K likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And the cold. And the rain. And the short days and long nights in winter. And The Sturgeon ...

nomad likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I have a Scottish surname - hoping that will do (no ancestral connections, as far as I know. :()

Alice K likes this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At least she got a sensible job after The Krankies split up!

Bedlam3 and blazer like this.
  17. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

UK government is predicated on separation of powers. That’s why this political decision is terrible. We’ll end up like the states where judges become political appointments.

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

[​IMG]

Alice K and TCSC47 like this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

And Australian actors of dubious mind prancing around all day in a kilt slagging off the English.

(My Scottish friends still want to kill me when I say I thought Mad Max did a great Scottish accent....I still do to be fair to him!)

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm afraid you show ignorance of the meaning of "separation of powers". The fact that Bojob will have to follow the law is the "separation of powers". It is not a political decision by the Scottish courts but the fundamental protection of our democracy. And to say anything else is just self serving spin.

Alice K likes this.