1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Johnson's dire record as PM

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

As Tim Walker says about this video:

"Johnson has never been ahead of the curve in his life. As a journalist, he confirmed prejudices, he never challenged them. As prime minister, he can’t see the bigger picture. It’s always too little, too late".

https://twitter.com/i/status/1282934286484754434

My prediction? Johnson will resign as PM and leave politics within the next 12-16 months, leaving some other poor sap to clean up his mess.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Always keep a hold of Nurse
    For fear of finding something worse.

Gove.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Once Brexit is completed he will be on his way to count his money.

Jolly_Roger15, steely1 and Jamvic like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wonder just how much longer people are going to tolerate Cummings.

5. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Perhaps QE2 will take a leaf out of the Oz Governor General's half-century old 1200 page long "Handbook for Countries; the Ruling of" and send him packing with a flea in his ear despite his clear majority in Parliament?

"Perhaps"

6. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

As long he wants them to is my guess.

This is by far the most corrupt government I've ever witnessed in the UK. It's so blatant that nobody really even cares about it going on anymore.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I don't think he'll be in the role as long as that.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

If you mean the general public by "people" we have no power over Cummings (assuming you do not mean Frankenstein style pitchforks and burning torches as we don't do that in this country). Cummings was shipped in by Boris and his cronies, possibly the unseen "suits" and they will dump him when they see fit. I also do not think Boris will resign as sociopaths do not recognise their own failings, but he might be forced out in some way. The voters in the last election are to blame, together with a poor showing from the other political parties. Even without Covid the Tory disater was predictable, this just makes it worse, and they will cling on to the very last second of this parlaimentary term.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Alice K, ajrowing and monicabilongame like this.
  9. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

But not a nanosecond earlier.

10. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

I think he’s doing really well in the circumstances and I can’t wait until we have Brexit yippee

ajrowing likes this.
  11. ilovesooty

I'll bite.

What do you think he's doing well?

What are you looking forward to in terms of Brexit?

jellycowfish and Jamvic like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Who was it used say "Welcome to TES"?

ajrowing and Jamvic like this.
  13. ilovesooty

@harsh-but-fair . This poster isn't new, but seems to be new to Personal.

monicabilongame and Jamvic like this.
  14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes, for better or worse we have this system called democracy. One day Tory supporters will be saying the same thing as you.
    BTW I'm watching series 5 of The Vikings at the moment, I know its drama and the producers play games with history but Ivar the Boneless is a ruthlessly ambitious and evil character. I like the character a lot. Certainly no kitten.

15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its going to be excellent basking in the sunlit Brexit uplands and its brilliant that the most capable leader and strategist since Julius Caesar is in charge of our national destiny.

ajrowing and ilovesooty like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Amazing, every Labour supporter or follower bites and chews the cud!

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Who are they then? You always seem to be here too.

18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Rumour has it that Carrie has moved out of Downing St. Has she had enough of the fat blonde blusterer? Who knows? I wonder if Dilyn the dog has gone too?

19. ilovesooty

What's the point of that statement? Are people not allowed to be critical of Johnson's performance now? Does criticism of Johnson mean that you must have voted Labour?

20. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

It was only a matter of time before Mr Johnson was found out anyway - but no-one, least of all Mr Johnson, thought that he would be found out so quickly, brutally and thoroughly as he has been.

I am sure that this will not have been the first time that someone has posted on TES this letter from Martin Hammond, who taught Johnson at Eton forty years ago, but it bears repetition in view of the fact that he is now fouling up the whole country instead of just his own education.

"Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies; [he] sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility [and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the School for the next half. I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else. I’m enormously fond of Boris, and saddened that he should have brought upon himself this sort of report. All is not lost, by any means; he can easily effect a full return of grace by showing obvious commitment next half.”

What is remarkable about this is that fact that Mr Johnson did not respond in any significant way to a rebuke which would have raised blisters on most peoples' skin. After the next Eton half, Mr Hammond wrote again:

"Boris is pretty impressive when success can be achieved by pure intelligence unaccompanied by hard work, but he doesn’t have the instincts of a real scholar, and tends to ‘sell himself short’. He is, in fact, pretty idle about it all ... Boris has something of a tendency to assume that success and honours will drop into his lap: not so, he must work for them.

It is an act of genuine scholarship so neatly to encapsulate the mixture of bogosity, effrontery, hypocrisy, deceit and entitlement which has elevated Mr Johnson to the level of his monumental and utter incompetence.