1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Johnson claims to be a liberal, one nation Tory, so what will the new cabinet look like?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Will Moggie and Patel, Raab and Gove be returned to the backbenches again?

2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

Nobody knows. Wait and see.

border_walker likes this.
  3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

4. Duke of York

Of course nobody knows yet and won't do until the process of appointing ministerial jobs takes place. I thought it would be useful to give advance warning that it might help people see whether Johnson is a man of his word insofar as his vision for government ought to be different from the ruthless and disgraceful measures he took to get elected as PM.

We'll get our first taste of whether he's going to be a great PM, by who he keeps in his inner circle and what their ambitions were all about before the election. There isn't, and hasn't been anyone you'd call a One-Nation Tory in government since Thatcher came to power, although some of the older ones like Ken Clarke and Michael Hesseltine may have grown into them as they aged.

After Benjamin Disraeli coined the term "One Nation Conservatism", there have been a few Tory governments who did the country a favour, notably Harold MacMillan with the impetus he put on building council housing, but in my opinion he was the last Tory PM we had, worthy of calling himself a One-Nation Tory.

In simple terms, we'll be able to judge whether Johnson is being honest about his politics, by the company he wants to spend time with around the Cabinet table.

Yes, let's wait and see.

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

It'll look like the last one.

sodalime likes this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It will look like all the extras in a zombie film, and with the same single-minded zeal for grovelling to the Johnson, and "getting Brexit done" (AKA f*****g up the country for ever).

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's already been flagged as a "small" reshuffle, so I doubt that there will be many changes. Quite poissibly just filling a handful of empty seats, such as that of the Minister for International Development.

8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

He cheated on his first wife, with the woman who then became his second wife and cheated on his second wife several times, even had one lovechild during the marriage and left his second wife for his current girlfriend whilst he's still going through the final stages of a divorce.

If his current girlfriend thinks he is going to be faithful she is delusional.

I believe this is why he wanted the election now because of all the distractions with Brexit and Christmas etc., because once we start looking at a political leader properly, i.e. whether they are wo/men of honour, he would definitely fail that test, so it's best to keep the election all about Brexit.

So far he has vowed to be faithful TWICE and hasn't. So, no, he aint a man of his word.

And also, the Tories are a pesky bunch. The only leader ever to keep them under control for a while was Thatcher but they undid her in the end. There'll be another bid for leadership soon and then we'll get a real right rightie. :eek:

Perhaps that's the plan.:rolleyes:

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Pesky..there's a new word for them lol
    They are not just pesky they are an extremely influential group of politicians and not just pesky.
    As for cheating....whats different to the huge numbers of folks probably do it.....well he was a potential leader at the time.Anyone else would have not even raised a stir of the eybrow!

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It won't make much difference who's in the Cabinet. He quashed any likely rebellion before candidates were permitted to stand.

11. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

I know he claimed It, but the Tories have already kicked out anyone competent to take forward one-nation liberal policy. Anyway, I came across this in the FT...

https://www.ft.com/content/007bff64-1c40-11ea-97df-cc63de1d73f4

“The new model Tories under Mr Johnson have attracted droves of working class voters in a way not seen since the 1980s, winning constituencies in the Midlands and northern England that have been Labour for generations. He has a duty not just to respect their wish to leave the EU but to address the socio-economic malaise and disillusionment in many parts of the country that lay behind the Leave vote. He should remain mindful, however, that despite the Conservatives’ success in gaining their largest share of the popular vote since 1979, a greater proportion of voters backed parties that supported a second referendum or sought to reverse Brexit. These voices, too, deserve a hearing

Governing in the national interest will require healing divisions, too, in Mr Johnson’s own party. It should mean an overhaul of his third-rate cabinet — chosen largely for their hard-Brexiter credentials — to create a government of all the talents.”

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

This is virtually a requirement of leaders in many European countries, of course. Bunga-bunga party, anyone?

13. Duke of York

Wasn't Brexit supposed to be all about the British not being like Europeans with their funny ways?

magic surf bus likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

One fewer than Corbyn.

install, border_walker and sodalime like this.
  15. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I know he's been married three times, and only know of his so called brief extramarital relationship with Abbot when he was married to his first wife. And @florian gassmann I believe that ALL candidates were poor leaders and poor candidates for prime minister and I am sure I am not the only one in the UK of that opinion.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Given Boris's new-found love affair with the working classes of the midlands and t'north I imagine they'll look like this:

[​IMG]

17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Who will replace John McDonnell on Monday? Promotion for RLB seems probable.

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This. Not only has he made every MP sign to back him, there simply is not a Tory MP alive now who will dare go silly on Brexit - they were and are more shocked at how their Brexit destoyers were booted out of office.

The only hope for remainers is Boris personally goes silly for yes, if he does he may well get support within the majority he has for a soft remain fudge. There is little indication that will happen, not least as his whole PM position is based on he alone being a leave backer and doer.

Sure, nothing wrong in remainers still having that hope - May was certainly going to use a 80 seat majority to fudge her deal to remain.

But for now at least if there is one thing all MPs want done with, it is Brexit.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  19. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I gather you're a remainer then, Ivar. But i didn't know you were so clever that you could see into the future. Or have you been a silly boy and listened to the fearies? ;)

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Lavrenti Beria?