1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

John Swinney-Set Days - “Swinnservice Days”

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by ladywholunch, Nov 16, 2019.

1. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

We have this coming Monday and Tuesday assigned as “inservice days” apropos the inset days John Swinney agreed to to “tackle workload”
    Our EIS rep has said these days should be given over to discussing and identifying workload drivers then feeding back to management. The EIS I see is backing him and dictating this nationally. So, rather than SMT hijacking our no-weans days with some old rope and flannel, the EIS is.

With prelims looming, filing need sorted and marking needing caught up with, I reckoned the inset days would be given over to departments catching up on that/ catching up with each other. I just don’t see the point in using up this time for a circular discussion on workload drivers. We all know them. Colleagues who “self start” extra curricular guff we can say no to anyway and management hobby horses we can nod and smile at but slip right at the bottom of the priority pile anyway (A bit of discretion plus playing dumb and innocent at appropriate times with SLT is slipping).

What are you doing in your place? I may not be Swinney’s biggest political fan but I’m sure he intended these as unstructured inset catchup with yer work days.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I don't think he intended for these to be used for teachers to "catch-up" on marking and filing. That is not going to change in future years, we'll still have to do it, so getting an extra day or two in one school year won't solve ongoing problems

Don't get me wrong, every teacher wants to be left alone on In-service days to get on with planning teaching and learning - they have been abused by HTs for decades.

We had staff working in groups to identify things that come their way that are utterly worthless and we are trying not to do them e.g. the huge volume of irrelevant emails, needless profiles, duplication of tasks across a department/school, Guidance teachers asking for information on pupils the week after tracking and so on. It's all the wee stupid things that add up. Don't know if this is going to work but at least some dodgy practice in our place is out in the open now.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Wrt duplication, lots of schools are coming up to their prelims now and how many schools arrange to swap prelims with their neighbouring schools to avoid duplication? And why aren't councils enforcing this?

There are a million other example of duplication which could easily be avoided.

4. partickz

partickz New commenter

I think the Faculty system is partly to blame for this. We no longer have subject PTs who know the subject inside out, working together to develop resources, assessments etc. Lots of working in isolation.

markbannan likes this.
  5. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

These are essential days for feeding back to ScotGov on many of the points previous posters have raised. Add to this class sizes and the boon significant reduction in class sizes would bring about and we have a plan.

6. AyeRight

AyeRight Occasional commenter

These are extra days and must be used to work on:
    • Workload reduction
    • ASN
    • Empowerment
    If they are not being used for this, inform your Union.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

0/3

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. Miss_Haversham

Miss_Haversham New commenter

Ours have been earmarked for "staff development"