1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

John Lewis now have gender neutral clothing for children

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 3, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

John Lewis have the first genderless/ unisex clothes, no boys or girls labels on children's clothing in order to get rid of gender stereotypes and conditioning in society.
    Have I become an old bag since buying my holiday home caravan? I don't think the colour babies wear matters and that has changed a lot over the years. I am just not sure re boys in dresses. I know the Scots wear kilts but they were not designed with what we perceive as feminine patterns. I for one do not want to find that the dress that I want to wear is in the laundry because my boyfriend fancied wearing it - when I get one that is. I guess the counter argument is that females wear trousers.

install likes this.
  2. 576

576 Established commenter

Women have worn 'male' clothes for generations, trousers, jeans, dungarees, shirts.

galerider123 and install like this.
  3. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

As I understand it from their website, the range of clothing is exactly the same. The only difference is that it does not have any labels saying whether it is for girls or for boys. I wonder how many boys will rush for the dresses now they are 'unisex'.

install and Laphroig like this.
  4. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I think it's good news. T-shirts don't need to be labelled unless there's a distinct shape change more suited to girls than boys or vice versa. Shorts, shirts, hats, socks, shoes...none of them need to be labelled. Skirts and dresses are less likely to be selected by boys but who really cares? I like the idea that girls might be able to buy the shirt saying 'genius' because it's neutral rather than being pigeon-holed as 'future footballer's wife' in the girls' section.

5. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

In theory, they could buy it before...

It will be interesting to see if they do 'sections' though. Or if they still have clothes' zones - a boys section and a girls section.

Or will it simply be t-shirts, jeans etc.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@secretsiren I agree, that is the whole point. Well done John Lewis, no one is going to make boys wear dresses or suggest any one deny or change their gender.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yet another reason to avoid John Lewis.

install, wanet, lexus300 and 2 others like this.
  8. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Why?

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm actually getting really fed up of all this gender neutral nonsense

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't see what there is to be annoyed about if trousers are labelled 'Trousers' instead of 'Girls' trousers' and 'Boys' trousers'. What is the problem?

alexanderosman, 576, strawbs and 3 others like this.
  11. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It would be a mistake to buy a pair of Miss Sexy trousers for a boy.

wanet, lexus300, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  12. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

It wouldn't really be a good thing to buy Miss Sexy trousers for any child, TBH.

But I guess you know that anyway.

snail_friendly, knitone, 576 and 8 others like this.
  13. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Why?

woollani likes this.
  14. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Sexualising children is generally considered to be inadvisable.

knitone, bonxie, peter12171 and 2 others like this.
  15. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Do you need to be told why buying Miss Sexy trousers for a child is inappropriate?

Really.

Jesmond12 and palmtree100 like this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Too expensive by half.

install and woollani like this.
  17. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Oh dear.

I suppose you would have girls go to the local discotheque dressed in sack cloth.

install and lexus300 like this.
  18. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

But why did you say that gender neutral clothing is also another reason no to shop there?

19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It sounds like a change in labelling rather than a change in clothing, which is great news. My daughter's favourite shorts for three years came from "the boys' aisle" and nobody knew unless I told them. A friend's daughter likes space, and so also has quite a few things that were labelled for boys. The other thing we need is a bit more variety in styles, and if that's achieved by aiming for "gender-neutral", so be it. Sometimes it seems that all shorts are very short, or all T-shirts have words on or are pink or frilly, making it difficult if you don't want that.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Maybe they should take these down an replace them with gender neutral versions!

install likes this.