1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

John Bercow - difficult boots to fill or not?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Who wants to rate Bercow's performance as the Speaker? Now he's due to go, would you like to see another like him; and if so who is there that's suitable, or would you prefer a Speaker with a different style?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

He was an expensive speaker who had a degree of humour and expensive tastes.
    His failure in my sight was to be even-handed over Brexit debates and allow far too many concessions on the remainers side,In the end, a turncoat, in my view, against his own party.
    One of the best was Betty Booth?( sorry this name is wrong) and she had problems but seems to be liked batter for her handling of the kiddy pen.

border_walker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Bercow has brought Parliament into people's living rooms. I think he has a presence that will be hard to replace whether you like him or not.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Often he seems unable to contol the playpen of Parliament, But I do think any person would have problems controlling the baying MP's.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't think he has ever bothered trying. I think he was just gifted with an elite and presentable strain of Tourette's

[​IMG]

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Taking aside the criticism of whether taxpayer's money was wasted on the accoutriments of his office, Bercow's period as Speaker has been one of the most difficult for a Speaker to cope with in living memory, with the shananegans of Brexit. I think he did a good job overall.

If I have any criticism to make, he lacked the ability to say Ordure! Ordure! Ordure! convincingly enough when Boris was speaking.

8. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Just another sociopathic bully

He did both limit the power of the executive in the HoC and also make historic and decisive rulings on Brexit for both of which he will enter the history books

But the first sentence above is the true measure of the man

Why do teachers always overlook/ignore bullying behaviour, I ask?

oldsomeman and border_walker like this.