1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Joe wins

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Jul 11, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

How fascinating it's been to watch a young and accomplished musician make the switch from one genre to another. It can't always be done, but in his case it's beautiful proof that musicianship and vocal quality are what truly matter in the end.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

How fascinating it's been to watch a young and accomplished musician make the switch from one genre to another. It can't always be done, but in his case it's beautiful proof that musicianship and vocal quality are what truly matter in the end.

3. Joe who? Bugner?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Now that would have been interesting, and who knows?
    Now, bv, I know you don't care for J McE but, for the record, your prejudice has stood in the way of your judgment here.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Cheryl was so much better, her voice is oustanding, she should have won.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't agree with you. She has a very pretty voice but pretty isn't enough. She is also 57 [my age] and the most she can hope for is the lead in amateur productions. Most importantly, she knows this herself. I thought her performance of One Fine Day was absolutely beautiful. It brought a tear to my eye and I agreed with Simon Callow's remarks about truth. She's a wonderful actress..
    But, in the end, the best voice won.

7. Didn't watch the whole series, really only the last two weeks. But I was impressed with both finalists.
    I trust that Rolando(?) saying in 2 years Joe could actually be an opera star is true - he should know. So inky you are probably right that the best voice won.
    But what brought tears to my eyes was Cheryl and Katherine Jenkins singing the Flower Duet, which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the world!!
    OK, getting soppy and hyperbolic! Time to go!!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

The Flower Duet is beautiful. I'd hoped that Rolando and Joe might do the duet from the Pearl Fishers [Massenet] which is another of opera's great popular pieces.
    I was sad to see Claire go. If ever there was possible early potential [is that tautological?] missed, it was in her. I loved her hard-edged voice - not at all pretty but better than pretty.
    The best singer won. I hope he pursues his musical/vocal studies, because his voice is wonderful. It's not blarty or forced or affected.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

But it calls for a strong baritone, so I suppose that put it out of the reckoning.

10. I've heard of the Pearl Fishers but do not have the music in my head - I think I need to find it and hear it.
    I also loved Claire. I think the whole thing meant more to her than the others so I hope she also continues with opera.
    Generally I don't like opera!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The duet's the only good bit in the whole of that particular opera. I'm having it at my funeral.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

SWhoops - Bizet. I should have googled before I posted. It is a lovely duet, being a beautiful song about friendship. Quite rare, probably.

13. Opera's about the acting and stage presence as well as the singing, and Cheryl was much better at that.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I quite agree. I love it as well. Can I come to your funeral? Have you set a date in your diary for it? Respecting your rude health compared to mine, I imagine I shall need an ear trumpet to hear the song at all, but maybe things will different in the future.
    My current wife believes I can't tell talk from mutter, yet I disagree. I saw the advert that said "You can't put a better bit of mutter on your wife."
    Ear trumpets will be a thing of the past before long. We'll have hearing aids that pick up all manner of things we wish we hadn't heard. Probably be able to pick up ancient radio waves of the Clitheroe Kid bouncing back from Mars or Jupiter as well.
    You have to be brave to look into the future.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Of course! I'll let you know when it's imminent. I'll have had my 3 score years and 10 next March so any time after that and you could get the invitation.

16. Think I've got your funeral duet in my head now - and it is beautiful.
    But I think it's definitely the Flower Duet for my send-off!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm having a selection. A friend is going to sing ,'I drempt I dwelt in marble halls'(if she's still alive) and I'm going to have Callas singing Casta Diva and Rufus Wainwright singing 'My Phone's on Vibrate for you'

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

True, but without the voice you might as well just act.

19. I will come to your funeral if you come to mine[​IMG]

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

That was my grandmother's favourite song. She died in 1960.