1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jobshare request

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by newmummy1, Apr 19, 2011.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hi, I have asked my school for a 2.5 day jobshare. They have agreed in part but have offered 2 or 3 days, not 2.5. Their reasons are continuity for parents and children and difficulty in recruiting. I am primary. I compromised and suggested alternate Wednesdays plus Thurs, Fri so would all be full days but still refused.
    Could do with your views on where to go from here. I am keen to do a 50/50 split as not only would it be better financially but most importantly I want to feel we are truly sharing the class and have equal say and responsibility. Also think it would make it easier for planning etc...

2. I owuld go with two or three days and be grateful they accepted your request!! Very many of us have been denied our requests and have had to go full time.

3. I requested 0.6 (3 full days - also primary) was offered 2 days, 3 1/2 days split Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri am or full time. I am doing 2 days - I hate to say it but you are going to have to request one or the other. I would still like 3 days a week and I made it clear to the head - he has said I will be first one to call on for supply etc (I told him I was only interested in full days covering and with notice!)
    Good luck

4. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

Most people wouldn't want 2.5 because of potentially paying extra childcare costs for a whole day but only getting paid for part of it. So your head might be right about difficulty recruiting?
    Best to work out what you want and then maybe when someone is recruited, you could see if they would be interested in a change?
    Or maybe agree to either 2 to 2.5 days OR 2.5 to 3 days to be finalised when a job-share partner has been recruited? That way is someone would do it you can start straight away, but you and your head have a fall back position?
    Good luck.