1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobseeking from Barcelona

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jan 16, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No,sorry, Skype is no good! You have to be in the UK, really, or prepared to fly here (at your own expence) at short notice for interview. I'm sorry to give you this bad news, but that's the way it is.
    You will not get an interview and thus no chance of getting a job . . . unless you are available.
    I wrote last year a thread for Overseas Teachers trying to return to the UK. I suggest that you read that as it could be helpful. You could be lucky and put on your application "I am only available for interviews on Fridays", but that could just be a reason not to select you for interview.
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    Where are you thinking of applying for your job? Currently there is a surplus of teachers in the UK,, so this thread may be helpful for you here.
    The Job Market in the UK. Where are the jobs, what are the problems...
    You don't say if you are UK-trained and experienced, working currently in a British-curriculum school in Barcelona, or if you have Spanish qualifications.
    If the latter, you may have a few problems, I'm afraid. Sorry to be giving you bad news all round.
    Here's what I've said in similar circumstances to other posters:
    Suit and Tie? Go to the second page, which is where we suddenly realised that the problem wasn't what Pablo was going to wear to interview, but the fact that he had no UK training or experience, at a time when there is a large surplus of teachers who do have that.
    It's certainly true that as a Spanish speaker, which I guess that you are, you have one advantage, but that may not outweigh the disadvantage of lack of familiarity with the system. This is the letter that I used to write in my last school when we had applicants who didn't have the required qualifications or training; it is in Spanish because it tended to be Spanish speakers who applied in these conditions.
    Le agradecemos su interés en la plaza de professor/a de español recientemente anunciada por nuestro colegio. Nos dirigimos a usted para comunicarle que hemos recibido unas cien solicitudes, y tras haber considerado la suya con detenimiento, lamentamos tener que informarle que no la hemos podido seleccionar para la prueba final.
    Aunque no podemos ofrecer comentarios sobre las solicitudes particulares ni especificar las razones de la no selección, sí ofrecemos a continuación una serie de consideraciones relevantes a un puesto en un colegio en Inglaterra que quizás les sean útiles a los solicitantes del extranjero para otra solicitud:

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Grado de familiaridad con los ex&aacute;menes nacionales del pa&iacute;s<li class="MsoNormal">Experiencia y/o certificaci&oacute;n professional para la ense&ntilde;anza del espa&ntilde;ol a angloparlantes<li class="MsoNormal">Alto nivel de ingl&eacute;s hablado y escrito para efectos de comunicaci&oacute;n con alumnos, colegas y padres de los alumnos.[/LIST] Dese&aacute;ndole todo lo mejor en su futura vida professional, le saluda cordialmente Theo Griff
    So I am not holding out too much hope for you just at present. The job market in the UK for teachers is very difficult indeed, and any extra complications just won't help you. If you do have Spanish qualifications, by the way, you'll need to get a convalidacion to get QTS and then GTC membership before you can legally teach in a maintained school. Yet another hurdle for you. Oh dear.
    Best of luck! A ver si apesar de todo, tienes suerte . . .
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!

2. isladencanta

isladencanta New commenter

Thank you very much for your useful response, Theo!

Even though it's very discouraging, I thought there wouldn't be so many handicaps...

After reading t the letter that you used to send to Spanish applicants, I've realized it's almost impossible for me: I fulfill the last two points, and I can apply for recognition as QTS (I've looked up their site and I meet the requirements), but... I don't have any experience working with the British curriculum and, according to your explanation, that's clearly a weak point.

I've read somewhere about "Returning to teaching" courses, where they offer training in schools, and that could be my first step. But it's no easy to be accepted either...

I'll think about it (quitting my present job taking into account these bad prospects sounds like a risky idea:)

Anyway, thanks again!

3. isladencanta

isladencanta New commenter

Thanks for the link! I didn't hear about this association... I'll try! :)