1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jobseekers over summer months

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by alliemags, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Can anyone advise me what is the law/rules concerning claiming jobseekers over the summer? I am a sub teacher but this year I am in the fortunate position to know that I will be going back to the same school in September - but only for as long as they need me. I have no contract with the school and I am paid on an hourly basis so dont get paid for christmas or easter etc. Any subs I have asked that are in similar positions are claiming with no issue but my DSS office said this is seen as a regular pattern of employment and therefore I am not entitled to jobseekers. What are the rest of you doing? Thanks in anticipation of helpful answers :)

2. Can anyone advise me what is the law/rules concerning claiming jobseekers over the summer? I am a sub teacher but this year I am in the fortunate position to know that I will be going back to the same school in September - but only for as long as they need me. I have no contract with the school and I am paid on an hourly basis so dont get paid for christmas or easter etc. Any subs I have asked that are in similar positions are claiming with no issue but my DSS office said this is seen as a regular pattern of employment and therefore I am not entitled to jobseekers. What are the rest of you doing? Thanks in anticipation of helpful answers :)

3. I was told this as well about 3 years ago. I didn't bother claiming the following year, but after reading of supply teachers who were being paid JSA (on here) I tried again last year and had no problems. I would advise that you appeal, saying that you have come across examples of claimants in the same position being paid JSA. Make clear that you are a teacher looking for permanent employment and that you have been seeking permanent employment while doing supply. Stress that you are only doing supply teaching because you haven't been able to get a permanent job.
    Good luck.

4. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/507326.aspx
    This thread might be worth browsing through.

5. thanks, went to see them today and did all of the above, so its just a matter of waitiing now. Will let you know the outcome. :)

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

As you are p/t, it might have helped if you had claimed during term-time (as long as work was under 16 hours per week) You would have declared hours worked and would have declared pay received only when in receipt of it. They'd then adjust or temporarily cease JSA, depending on how much you declared in take-home pay.
    You'd have kept the claim open, signing every fortnight, even when not actually receiving JSA and then, in the holiday periods when hours worked cease and eventually so does arrears of pay, you'd start getting JSA until pay next kicked in.
    If employed by an LA supply list or an agency, you could also have stated that work ceased in July and you have a temporary booking to start in September.

7. I just posted a messaged titled my JSA has stopped, you may want to read my experience, especially as it was all going so well til this morning.