1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobseekers dilemma

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Oldgit61, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Terry and Tamsin (aged 24) have been offered a job in a terrible location with an unknown school but which pays loads of money which would allow them to save...say GBP100K in two years if they were willing to kiss &ss, endure a cultural and social desert, and eat very strange things without benefit of Marmite.
    Moments before they sign up, they receive an offer from Snodgrass academy (Tier One and Bl**dy proud of it). CPD laid on, sunshine on tap, witty, smart culturally sophisticated social set, tennis etc etc...but which will leave them with three thousand quid between them after two years.
    Curiously enough Jack and Jill (aged 49) have recieved the same offers from two very similar schools in almost identical circumstances! Who would have thought it?
    What advice would you give to Jack and Jill and to Terry and Tamsin?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Depends purely upon their personal circumstances.
    Having worked in the UAE before, I have little interest in going through that again.
    I would question an "tier one" school that paid so badly that one only had 3000 after two years to show for it. No job is worth living hand to mouth for.
    My advice would be, unless they liked to kiss **** and had a mortgage deposit that they wished to sace up for or something, to continue looking for jobs.

3. As the case is hypothetical - but probably of interest to all those thinking of dipping a toe in the water - you could make them up.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

I'd question why they even applied for the first job in an awful place!
    There is more to life than money & it can't buy happiness.

5. 576

I would like to know why they applied for a job in a terrible location to start with?!
    Money won't buy you happiness.
    There is more to life than money and if you're going to leave family, friends and all that is familiar behind you should have more to look forward to than payday.
    I don't think age is relevant.

6. Oh, come on, it is. For my first job abroad I was paid the princely sum of 750 quids a month. I did my time and scrubbed the metaphorical poop deck. And that was fine because I was young and I didn't care too much about money as long as I could afford the odd frolicking with the local lasses. It was a terrible job, but I paid my dues and moved on. Nowadays, there is NO way I would take a pay cut just for the luxury of being on some tropical island. Ask the people teaching in the Bahamas, or Bermuda or the Seychelles islands. They will tell you that paradise is nice for a while but it doesn't last long. When you are young you can put up with it for a while ( and for the sake of making your Facebook friends green with envy) but after a while you are ready to take a well paid gig in a mildly boring city rather than a low paid job in some supposedly incredible place.

7. 576

I'm slap bang in between the ages of these two imaginary couples, and I still would not want to work in a terrible location just for a fat payslip.

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Tamsin, I know just what it must be like for you out there. PM me.

9. The young couple should take the well-paying job in a terrible place. The midle-aged couple should take the other one.

10. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

What makes a location terrible? Being an Antipodean I'm accustomed to cultural deserts and I carry my vegemite with me.
    As long as I thought the school was ok (surely you could find out something more than 'unknown') I'd be willing to go for the experience and the cold hard cash. Money may not buy happiness but you can have a lot of fun with it.
    At my age (closer to Jack and Jill than Terry and Tasmin) I won't work for peanuts. There's too many options that pay decently to bother.

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

For the thousandth time, let us piously remind ourselves that anyone employed, anywhere, as an international educator, in the 21st Century, sits snugly inside the top 10% on the planet as far as wealth, comfort, education, opportunities and security are concerned, and enjoys a lifestyle superior to that of King Louis XIV.
    Or King Clovis.
    If you are aged 24, you are, or should be, so exuberantly fit, energetic, optimistic, brave and carefree that you will flourish in surroundings that would upset us lame oldsters. Say what you like, it is always sad to hear twenty-somethings snivelling about pensions or health insurance or "can you get Marmite?" or "Will-I still-be-on-scale-point-x-if-I-return home-to-live-with-Mummy?".
    If location is 'excitingly challenging' <u>and</u> the packidge is bulky as well, then Terry and Tamsin's decision is a no-brainer.
    I've never worked in a top-dollar school, nor in a terrible location. But at this age one no longer has the cojones for, say, Locombia. And I've grown rather fond of that absurdly huge SMT salary, here in problematic paradise.
    Back to gazing at the majestic palm tree dancing in the ocean breeze outside the window. I could watch it all day... and in fact I frequently do.[​IMG]