1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobseekers dilemma 2

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Oldgit61, Apr 18, 2012.

1. You see a post for which you were snottily turned down by a standard issue SMT ***** readvertised after a very short period of time.
    Do you
    1). Ring them up and tell them you are still available.
    2). Ring them up and laugh like a drain pointing out the wonderful irony of all the wonderful threads about rigorous recruiting procedures by experienced SMT professionals that experienced SMT professionals have posted here.
    3). Take another swig and sit back with a smug smile and a fat contract.
    4). Offer to go through the rigorous application procedure again on the off chance that they might actually revise their opinions of your good self (fat chance that they might revise their opinions of their own infallibility).
    5). Send in the same application but just change your name?

2. You see a post for which you were snottily turned down by a standard issue SMT ***** readvertised after a very short period of time.
    Do you
    1). Ring them up and tell them you are still available.
    2). Ring them up and laugh like a drain pointing out the wonderful irony of all the wonderful threads about rigorous recruiting procedures by experienced SMT professionals that experienced SMT professionals have posted here.
    3). Take another swig and sit back with a smug smile and a fat contract.
    4). Offer to go through the rigorous application procedure again on the off chance that they might actually revise their opinions of your good self (fat chance that they might revise their opinions of their own infallibility).
    5). Send in the same application but just change your name?

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

I would try 1) and 4). In the first round candidate X was very good, but pipped to the post by (in the obviously flawed view of the interviewing panel) outstanding candidate who then withdrew. Candidate X comes back in response to second advertisment in a highly professional manner and gets the position, nice decent solid contract and benefits with no houhou. Big smiles all around and a G&T on the pool deck.

4. "Snottily turned down" and
    do not seeem like comparable experiences, to me. In my experience a very good candidate does not get turned down in a snotty manner.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Only if you actually have a fat contract. But bear in mind that as
    you probably don't. And even if you do, it was composed by
    so it's not worth the paper it's written on.

6. So you won't be having those pieces of paper around for tea then? They'll be gutted at missing the opportunity to be bored rigid by you

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

As far as I and no doubt other members of the entourage can remember, our Captain never allows that filthy fluid to pass his august lips, some things in this short life being beneath contempt.

8. 6) You understand that they do not wish to employ you as they did not select you last time. If they had changed their minds then they would have contacted you.

You then console yourself by posting numerous bitter comments about SMT and their assorted inadequacies whilst failing to reflect on how and why you became to be seen as deadwood in your last post. You deludedly amuse yourself with the notion that you were the one that got away and that you didn't want to work at a school that didn't pay deference to your many years in industry.

9. Mainwaring

Absolutely true. Medical tests thirty years ago established that I'm literally allergic to the stuff. I seem to remember Clovis's barista inviting him to a cheering cup of Java (At least it sounded like 'You for coffee?') so I keep in a supply in preparation for his promised visit to Andalucía, together with the Babychams and case or two of L'Entourage du Capitaine.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

Absolutely.
    I had a (non-international) job interview once. Feedback was that he was more of a round peg for a round hole!
    But that there was a possibility another position would be vacant in that department and if it was they'd love to have me.
    Shortly after I got a call to say another member of staff had resigned and did I want the job!
    I accepted and worked there for 7 years.
    Ironically - the round peg in a round hole took a day off for a dental appt after about 6 weeks and never returned! [​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

12. Mainwaring

Bobb's many fans may be scratching their heads over this arcane query and although I am his Official Chronicler (Clovis, the Authorised Biography) and the world's leading authority on the vocabulary, grammar, syntax and symbolism of Old High Clovish, I must confess that it puzzled me for the best part of five minutes before the penny dropped.
    About four years ago I mentioned that I had invited 'two PhDs to dinner'. With his characteristic zeal for accuracy Bobb pointed out that a PhD is not in fact a person but a university degree. Was I, he asked, going to sit down and converse with two illuminated diplomas propped up on chairs on the other side of the festive board? Such shafts of wit (careful, Dr Spooner!) apparently go down very big at social gatherings in Cloveland, and, understandably, Bobb has recycled the same gem on thirty-seven separate occasions. It's just as funny as ever.

13. I thought you were slotting in a mini-distillery betweeen a couple of trees on the off chance that BFG and I might trundle up one day...
    Wouldn't it be laverly if we all rolled up together?

14. Mainwaring

You will both be most welcome (including personal entourages) and the libations will flow freely. Any time between late May and late October this year. Choose your dates.
    Indeed. If our mutual friend rolls up the barista she'll fit nicely in a rucksack. I'm sure we have an old foot pump somewhere.