1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Jobseekers allowance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Nov 13, 2011.

  1. henriette

    henriette New commenter

    Quick question: if claiming jobseekers allowance you have to be actively looking fo rwork, I know that. Can they make you take work which is not "your job"?
    O/h is an EFL?ESOL teacher and his contract expires at the end of the month: can he register and look for a new college to teach at, or does he have to accept any old job in order to qualify for payments?
  2. ilovesooty

    ilovesooty Star commenter

    He will have to put down three types of jobs to apply for initially. After a certain period of unemployment he will have to widen his job search and apply for jobs outside his field.
  3. grandelf

    grandelf New commenter

    you can look for the same job for up to 12 weeks,

    after that you will be expected to look for any work and show you are doing so to continue to receive JSA

    I am currently doing this, but about to sign off for a terms work, then the 12 weeks can start again.
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You are allowed to look for your usual work at your usual pay rate for 13 weeks. They will probably still get him to nominate 2 other jobs that he can do and when the 'permitted period' is expired, he will be expected to look for any job that he is capable of doing, at the minimum wgae if necessary.
    he should go along with whatever minimum demands they make after the permitted period as realistically he will still manage to provide a good enough jobsearch record for more suitable jobs.
    Also, they cannot make him take p/t work if he wants to hold out for full time and he cannot be made to take any job that will make him worse off than on benefits. Having said that, the latter detail really only helps those on Income Based JSA and your partner will be on Contributory (£67-45 per week) for up to 26 weeks if you are working for 24+ hours per week.
    If his job ends at the end of November, when will he receive his last pay?
    If he gets Contributory only, he should sign off when he has received his 26 weeks, which is likely to be around the end of May 2012 if he doesn't find work. He should then leave a gap of at least 12 weeks (worth checking on the Helpline as they have increased the needed in recent years and may have done so again) ... and then make a fresh claim late in 2012. That fresh claim, with the required gap since last claiming, will allow a new 26 week eligibility to jsa based on the then looking at a different paid of NI contributory years.
    For claims started in 2011, they look at NI in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010.
    For claims made in 2012, that are not linked back to the 2011 claim because of the claim-free interlude, they will look at 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.
    Whilst claiming he will get a free NI credit towards his eventual State pension etc.

    ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

    Sorry to hijack this a bit but you sound like you know your stuff Jubilee!
    I'm wondering if my daughter, recently graduated, is eligible for any benefits. She's just about to start an unpaid internship for a charity which is 25 hours a week. So technically she's not jobseeking until that's finished, but has no means of support, apart from us. She's living at home and trying to get PT work - waitresing etc. -to fit around her internship hours, but no luck so far.
  6. modelmaker

    modelmaker Occasional commenter

    I can't comment about the rules of signing on, but the voice of experience inside me is saying look at all options. There are plenty of things bright people can turn their hands to and fnd engaging. A change of carreer can be most refreshing.
  7. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I worked in a Jobcentre for a year before training as a teacher in 1998.
    Your daughter could have been claiming JSA (probably Income Based ... the means-tested one) since graduating. She would have got 353-45 per week if aged 24 years or under. It's £67-50 for those aged 25 yrs+.
    You can't get Housing benefit when living with a close relative.
    As her internship is 25 hrs per week, she can't claim JSA as you can only keep a claim open if volunteer work or p/t work or formal study lasts for 15hrs 59 minutes or under per week.
    As soon as the internship ends, she should make a JSA claim.
    In the meantime, the only State benefit that I can think of that she could claim whilst on the internship is a certificate exempting her from NHS charges. She could have free prescriptions and free dental and optical treatment by filling in and submitting form HC1. She can get a copy from a Jobcentre Plus or from a chemist's.
    Both my children applied on that form when they were students but many students seem unaware of their entitlement.
    Will she be getting any expenses with the internship?
    If she does eventually make a JSA claim, I offer the following advice ... you must not support her with regular finacial help. If she declares on the claim forms that she gets, for instance, £200per month from you, she will get virtually no JSA as they will simply top up your money to JSA levels! I had a past tenant from my rental property who claimed after graduating and told them that her father was continuing to pay her a monthly allowanc euntil she found work. result was NIL JSA.
    You can still give her money or buy her things but they should be random presents, not guaranteed, regular amounts. The Benefit System does not penalise claimants for getting Birthday and Xmas money!
    If claiming on the HC1 form, it's also best for her to be able to declare low or nil income. JSA levels of income, if that is what you are giving her, would still entitle her to free NHS services, however.
    If she were to move out of your home after the internship (perhaps to be in a location where jobs are more likely to crop up), she would be entitled to Housing benefit (up to a specific level depending on the area) and Council tax relief as well as the JSA Personal Allowance.
    Claims for JSA should be made (phone or on-line) on the first weekday of unemployment. The first 3 days are called Waiting Days when no JSA is 'earned' . She must be bale to say that she's looking for f/t work and is available for f/t work.
  8. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    How soon will she be an intern with the charity and how long will it last?
    If there's still a week or so to go, I'd say to start a JSA claim tomorrow, get the 3 waiting Days out of the way and then she won't lose 3 days' money when she re-claims at the end of the internship.
    Also, the 16hrs+ disqualifier for JSA applies to hours in her benefit Week which may not be a Mon-Frid Week. If her signing day is allocated as a Wednesday, her BW would be from Thurs to a Weds each week. When she started the internship, the Monday - Weds of the firt internship week would fall in one BW ad the Thurs-Frid would fall in another BW. She'd thus be able to claim JSA into part of the internship.
    She would also find out if they are prepared to treat an unpaid internship differently from p/t work and allow continuation of the claim. My gut feeling is thta it will disqualify her but thye may allow it, as they do for p/t students who agree to give up their studies if f/t work is on offer.

    ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

    Many thanks for that Jubilee - very helpful.
    She starts tomorrow and it runs till March. She will be getting travel expenses - bus fares. The hours are flexible and may vary each week as part of her role is to organise events, so may involve the odd weekend/evening.
    Will follow this up (and stop her allowance!)
  10. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If there's a break in the internship around Xmas/new Year, it might be worth her starting a JSA claim then. It is perfectly possible to claim for a temporary period, only looking for temporary work, on the basis that she has an something lined up later.
    The difficulty would be in being able to contact them to claim on a weekday when the internship had stopped and the Jobcentre hadn't closed for Xmas.

    ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

    Thanks jubilee and apologies again to henriette for jumping in - hope your problem is resolved.

Share This Page