1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Jobseeker's allowance...can anyone give me some advice?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sadandconfused, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I had to attend a "back to work" interview at the job centre today. I have now passed the 13 week mark when the government expect you to widen your job search beyond your original area. In other words, I can't only look for teaching jobs anymore because I have failed to get one so far. And if I don't look for other jobs I won't get my JSA. I asked the adviser if I am supposed to lie about widening my search because all I want to do is teach and I do believe that there will be a job out there for me - just maybe not until September; after all that is when most of the jobs start and his reponse was that if I don't extend my search I won't get my JSA.
    They also want me to send one letter a week to a prospective employer and visit one prospective employer a week.
    My main question is this...do I stand any chance of getting a job by writing to local schools and/or visiting them even if they don't have any vacancies and what do schools think of people in my situation doing this? After all I have been led to believe that the job centre advisers will actually check up on where I say I have been.
    If anyone else has been through this I would be very grateful to hear about their experiences
    Many thanks

2. I had to attend a "back to work" interview at the job centre today. I have now passed the 13 week mark when the government expect you to widen your job search beyond your original area. In other words, I can't only look for teaching jobs anymore because I have failed to get one so far. And if I don't look for other jobs I won't get my JSA. I asked the adviser if I am supposed to lie about widening my search because all I want to do is teach and I do believe that there will be a job out there for me - just maybe not until September; after all that is when most of the jobs start and his reponse was that if I don't extend my search I won't get my JSA.
    They also want me to send one letter a week to a prospective employer and visit one prospective employer a week.
    My main question is this...do I stand any chance of getting a job by writing to local schools and/or visiting them even if they don't have any vacancies and what do schools think of people in my situation doing this? After all I have been led to believe that the job centre advisers will actually check up on where I say I have been.
    If anyone else has been through this I would be very grateful to hear about their experiences
    Many thanks

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

These peolpe at the jobcentre have no idea how teaching works.
    I had this problem too.
    I did send a cv to a school & when phoning back to chat to the Head it became obvious the letter had gone straight in the bin & even trying to book an interview with a busy Head was a non-starter.

4. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

Technically speaking, writing to Manchester United to ask if there are any jobs going as 'centre forward' counts as a letter to a prospective employer.

On a more serious note, going to a school to observe lessons/classroom assist is visiting a prospective employer, and looks very good on your CV.

5. Oh dear - I'm afraid I may meet this very soon.
    I'm so demotivated by the entire job scene at the minute that I'm not sure I could even agree to this - let alone find the childcare to be able to visit one employer every week.

6. I have that problem too. I have however emailed two schools this week who have jobs that are vaguely suitable for me (although having googled one of them, it's too far to commute) hopefully that will keep the job centre a***s off my back for a fortnight so I can get my pittance of JSA [​IMG]