1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobseekers allowance advice

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jubilee, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I used to work at a Jobcentre.
    As long as you are still available for full-time work and are actively seeking full-time work, your JSA claim will continue.
    You should tell them that you have secured a job starting on 1st September and they will only require you to look for temporary work for the rest of your claim period. It will really make life easier for you at the jobcentre as they will transfer their attention to those who haven't got work lined up.
    You will NOT get JSA until your first pay from your new job comes through.
    You will have to close your claim with 31st August, at the latest, being your last day of JSA as you will be an employee from 1st Sept even if school strats later in that week. They will then send you whatever JSA is owing to 31st August and you will need to plan for how you will manage financially from that last JSA payment until your first salary towards the end of September.
    If your finances are very tight, you may be able to get an advance of pay earlier in September. If you need that, I'd advise asking for the bare minimum (perhaps only what you would have had access to on JSA) as the remainder, payable at the end of the month will have to last you for the following month.
    If you are claiming Housing benefit, you should look into whether they still let you get the HB for 4 weeks after notifying them of your new employment circumstances. When I worked for the Jobcentre in 1997/8 longer-term HB claimants had that facility so that they didn't immediately fall into rent arrears when JSA income stopped and new employment wages were paid monthly in arrears.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You will fill in the signing-off part of the paperwork they gave you (the booklet with your signing day and time) sometime towards the end of August. You should be able to do so at the last signing day in August, entering 31st August as your last JSA day.
    That will trigger a P45 eventually, detailing the JSA you have received since 6th April 2012. You pass on the copy for your new employer and that will enable them to operate your correct tax code. getting the jobcentre paperwork sorted at the earliest opportunity will speed up the issue of that P45. The earlier you can get it to your new employer in September, the more likely thta you will not be charged emergency tax on all your new earnings at the end of September.
    Have you had a tax rebate yet for the 2011/12 tax year? As you were redundant at the beginning of 2012 and claiming JSA from January until the end of the tax year on 5th April, you will have been due a tax rebate for not making use of most of your monthly tax allowance in those three months.
    It may still be in the pipeline with JSA sorting it for you, but do double check.
    You should also ensure that you have claimed all possible allowance with the Inland revenue for professional expenses allowed.
    You should have been claiming tax relief on the GTC fees you have paid over the years, the last of which you will have paid in April 2011.
    You can claim a portion of your Union fees against tax. It's nine tenths of what you pay the ATL and two thirds of what you pay the NUT. If in a different Union, ask them what fraction of it is eligible for tax relief.
    You can also claim a Uniform allowance of £60 per annum if you had to teach PE and had to provide your own uniorn AND maintain and launder it yourself.
    You can go back 6 tax years claiming arrears for tax relief if you have never claimed before.
    The Uniform allowance was £45 per year up to and including the 2007/08 tax year and £60 per year thereafter.
    Tax relief means not paying your highest rate of tax on the sums claimed for tax relief. Thus, £100 of Union fees set against tax, saves you £20 in tax if you're a basic rate taxpayer and £40 if a Higher rate one.
    The tax is reduced in your monthly pay if you tell them about it each tax year and you get it as a lump sum for past tax years where you failed to claim at the time.

3. Gari94

Gari94 New commenter

Thanks everyone I a going tocal tomorrow and explain I think it only lasts until the 16th aug anyway as my 6 months is up x

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You don't need to phone the jobcentre. Wait until your next visit.
    Are you planning any time abroad between now and your job start? If so, you would need to close your JSA claim for the period when out of the UK and that would allow you to sign back on (Rapid reclaim) on your return and take the final closure to later in August to use up your 26 weeks.
    Do you only qualify for JSA Contributory, which is 26 weeks of the personal allowance for JSA?
    Those WHO USE UP THEIR 26 WEEKS OF jsa PAYMENTS AND DON'T QUALIFY FOR A TRANSFER TO iNCOME bASED (mEANS-TESTED JSA) , do still have the option of staying signed on for free NI credits. You would still need to do a jobsearch and incur time and expense getting to the Jobcentre fortnightly, so for such a short period you might decide that 2 free NI credits are unnecessary as you will earn enough from teaching in the rest of this tax year to make it a qualifying year for State pension etc.

5. Gari94

Gari94 New commenter

Do you only qualify for JSA Contributory, which is 26 weeks of the personal allowance for JSA?
    Those WHO USE UP THEIR 26 WEEKS OF jsa PAYMENTS AND DON'T QUALIFY FOR A TRANSFER TO iNCOME bASED (mEANS-TESTED JSA) , do still have the option of staying signed on for free NI credits. You would still need to do a jobsearch and incur time and expense getting to the Jobcentre fortnightly, so for such a short period you might decide that 2 free NI credits are unnecessary as you will earn enough from teaching in the rest of this tax year to make it a qualifying year for State pension etc.

Sorry I am really confused... I am going abroad and they have told me to close for the two weeks I will reclaim from the 3rd July. Does this mean my entitlement will stop on the 16 th aug because I still have accumulated 26 weeks? Or will it start a new 26 weeks. I have been told my partners earnings are likely to rule me out of further JSA ?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When you sign back on after 2 weeks abroad, your rapid reclaim will link back to your original claim and your 26 weeks will simply run out 2 weeks later than originally scheduled.
    As you are unlikely to qualify for nay JSA Income BASED, BECAUSE OF YOUR PARTNER'S EARNINGS, YOU WOULD ONLY GET NI credits if you kept the claim open once your 26 weeks of Contributory have been received.
    My information rom last year is that you would need to create a gap of at least 12 weeks (not signing on at all) in order to be able to make a new claim for JSA Contributory in the next calendar year (so in 2013 if your current claim started in 2012).
    A 2013 claim would look at your NI in 2010/11 and 2011/12. If you paid enough NI, you'd get anotehr 26 weeks of JSA personal allowance if you couldn't find work.
    If you don't have a qualifying NI record for those years, you could keep signing on for NI credits as that might be better than nothing, though travel expenses to the jobcentre might minimise the value of the 'freebie' I suppose.