1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Proyector, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Proyector

Proyector New commenter

Hello all

I am new to the forums. This is my first post! I just wanted to ask if anyone is concerned at the lack of jobs out at the moment? Will the situation pick up in April/ May? It is very slow. This time last year there were a lot more jobs. I am quite concerned there won't be many more!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A lot of schools are looking at redundancy, restructuring and at the very least natural wastage in light of the cut backs. Purse strings are being tightened and every penny counts just now. There will be jobs available - Remember that the deadline for leaving in August is the end of April, so there is still resignation time for those in post moving on, and advertising time for those jobs that schools need to fill yet.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Job hunting is particularly hard this year.
    Normally 80% of NQTs, by Christmas, are in induction.
    But of last year's NQTs - only 46% had jobs by January, and the 2009 cohort still had 34% out of a job.
    And now the 2011 cohort are Job Seeking too - at a time when the number of jobs advertised has fallen between a quarter and a third from last year. Shall I say that again? Between a quarter and a third fewer jobs being currently advertised, compared with this time last year.
    Masses more applicants, masses fewer jobs. The competition is really fierce.
    Today I have been doing One-to-One interviews at TES headquarters, helping people with their executive summaries, applications and interview technique. I see some very good teachers who have masses to offer a school, but don't have the foggiest idea about "setting out their stall" and showing the schools what a great contribution they could make.
    You will probably have read about Belle de Jour, and how she got a job.
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    She has posted quite a few times saying that in the seminar she learnt things that she hadn't the foggiest idea about. If an Old Hand like Belle needed our help in the Job seminars, you can imagine how hard it is for NQTs!
    Most people need help to get that job.
    Go to the JobSeekers Forum, open the Welcome thread and read the advice clickables in there. They have helped loads of people to get a job. Or come to one of our seminars to get a clear explanation of what you need to do. But don't just rely on the advice given by your Uni, or on bland feedback from a school - it is just not enough.
    Good luck to you all.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is tomorrow Saturday 2 April.

This is the last Job seminar that I shall do for some time, so to get a head start, come along! The enrolment is open until midnight tonight.

http://tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com/
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. DaisysLot

I personally think this 'new' level of competition is healthy. The determined and the good to outstanding will get posts I am sure. This can only be a good thing for education in the long run.

5. DaisysLot

I love this quote....
    The cowards never started, (teacher training in the first place?)
    The weak died on the way, (Surviving teachinbg practice?)
    Only the strong survived, (Getting through an interview?)
    They were the pioneers....