1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs: what’s more important? The school or preferred KS?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gsr25, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I just wondered what people’s thoughts were on this.
    Is it better to have a job in a lovely school but with a different key stage to the one you prefer.
    OR
    Be in your ideal key stage but in a school that’s less lovely.

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Right school every time - being in a horrible school is hell. You may be able to move into your preferred key stage at a later point in that school. Having said that, I'm happy to teach in EYFS, KS1 or KS2.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and Gsr25 like this.
  3. Gsr25

Thanks. I’m in year 2 for contrast placement and I really love it but I’m unsure as to whether I would been good enough for year 2 as I felt so comfortable in my EYFS placement and it’s my area of strength.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree with becky70, the right school for you every time.

You need to accept that the first time any teacher moves year group / Key Stage, they all, experienced teachers included, feel slightly daunted at first coping with new demands. But everyone adapts, sensing how one can transfer previously learned skills/ techniques, once you get your head around what is needed.

Being in a 'preferred Key Stage ( and I've taught everything from Nursery to KS4 at some point in my career) means nothing if you and the school don't make a 'good fit'. Over my career I found I could indeed be successful at many different stages than I'd assumed, if I 'gelled ' with the school, whereas even in my preferred age groups, if I was in the wrong school for me I didn't achieve the same success.

agathamorse, TheoGriff and Gsr25 like this.
  5. Gsr25

Thank you Lara. Makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of pressure to start applying for jobs but I’ve just not felt right about any of the ones I’ve seen advertised.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

The whole school every time, rather than fixating on a particular age range/ key stage, especially as it sounds like you are at the early stage in your teaching career. You need to gain experience in different key stages. Sometimes you will be surprised at how you actually can flourish with an older age range - I have noticed that often it is teachers who have worked in EYFS who feel reluctant to try an older age range; for some , it may be that they are really at their best in EFYS, but if you only have a limited experience outside of EYFS, you will never really have given yourself the opportunity to see how you could be excellent with other ages.

Gsr25 and Lara mfl 05 like this.