1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs that require GCSE C in Maths and those that don't

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by trinity0097, Feb 23, 2008.

1. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

This was mentioned on another thread.

Does anyone have a list of jobs that need C or above and those that don't? Or know where there is one to download?

2. trinity0097

This was mentioned on another thread.

Does anyone have a list of jobs that need C or above and those that don't? Or know where there is one to download?

3. DM

DM New commenter

Jobs that need Grade C GCSE Maths: Nearly all

Jobs that don't: Hardly any

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That can't be true DM. Given the percentage of the population who have GCSE grade C (I have a feeling it's just under 50% but not sure that's up to date) and the percentage or adults unemployed it must be wrong.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Well, I will modify my post then:

Careers that require Grade C GCSE Maths: Nearly all

Careers that don't: Hardly any

6. The problem is that people that do not have a GCSE grade C or better find themselves stuck. This is because they come to a point in there career and find if they want to progress they need the qualification. It will be interesting to see the % of adults who go on to retake maths GCSE or equivalent qualification.

Also nearly all employers will like their staff to be numerate and literate, isn't that why the functional skills are now becoming so important? You really can not under estimate what a grade C in Maths can do for your future career.

7. "Careers that don't: Hardly any"

Absolute rubbish! What world do you live in!

Cook
    Cleaner
    Shop Assistant
    Receptionist
    Motor Mechanic
    Hairdresser
    Postman
    Security Guard
    Porter
    Soldier
    Carpet Fitter
    Estate Agent
    Plasterer
    Dustman
    Telesales person
    Gardener
    Secretary
    Factory operative
    Taxi Driver
    Bricklayer
    Waiter
    Lorry/Van Driver
    Driving instructor
    Building Labourer
    Caretaker
    Roofer
    Picker/Packer
    Farm labourer
    Fork lift Truck Driver
    Sales Rep
    Actor
    Swimming Instructor
    Musician
    Crane Driver
    Removal Man
    Pest Control Operative
    Tailor
    Fisherman
    Fireman
    Barman/Barmaid

+ many, many more.

8. DM

DM New commenter

MrJob,

Most of the occupations on your list are jobs rather than careers (by career I implied there would be a clear path of progression). In any event, several of the jobs you list DO require the minimum C grade.

This is the world in which I live:

On Friday, I had to deal with an inconsolable Year 13 student who has be sent to speak to me by her form tutor. She is predicted to achieve three good A Levels and has applied for a higher education course in Nursing.

Unfortunately, despite resitting GCSE Maths twice in Year 12, she has been unable to improve on the Grade D she originally achieved in Year 11. Now she in the position that she has been given conditional offers for Nursing that all state that she will NOT be able to take up her place without that elusive Grade C.

9. DM

DM New commenter

"has be" = had been!

10. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Some public sector jobs, such as nursing and, of course, teaching, demand a grade C in Maths. Although it is not a requirement for many others, there will still be a bias in favour of those with the qualification, especially in jobs where some degree of numeracy is required. That includes some on MrJob's list. If I needed to employ somebody in a job that involves handling money, I would prefer somebody with at least a grade C.

However, I have never understood why somebody with aptitude and enthusiasm for a subject, and the ability to inspire others to learn it, needs Maths to be a teacher of that subject.

At a year 9 parents evening, a girl's parents told me that she didn't need Maths, as she wanted to be a primary school teacher. I noticed a distinct improvement in effort after I pointed out her error.

11. The truth of the matter is that there are many people working without a maths GCSE. So there must be jobs which do not require it. However, I ask you this, why the big push for functional skills in maths if employers did not see the need for more numerate employees?

The fact is yes you can live without maths and clearly many do. However, how many of them without progress in their career? I would say not many.

12. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

There are many people in work without a C at GCSE maths. Do they need it, of course they do. The job would be done better, the incumbent would progress further if they had basic skills.
    I'm with DM, just because you are in a job without basic numeracy does not mean you don't need it !! What world do YOU live in if you think you can get by without basic sums and words?
    I'd like to challenge anyone who says a cook (and just about anyone else on that list) does not need to be decent at maths.
    I hear voices saying you don't need a C at GCSE to do these jobs.....No, you don't, but to be good at them you certainly do.

13. Certainly not baggage handling.
    I never forget being told by a young lad that his Dad didn't have any GCSEs and he had a better car than me.
    And further conversations with friends told me that the local baggage handlers at Gatwick did indeed earn more than me too.

14. We need to see the difference between mathematics and basic numeracy. People are right to point out that some of the jobs on my list require basic numeracy - but that is not the same as mathematics.

Mathematics adds in: algebra, trigonometry, etc. (the harder subjects).

The government are absolutely right to bring in functional maths will which will suit young people who need to develop numeracy skills but can't handle maths such as simultaneous or quadratic equations.

Bright children could take functional maths early to gain a qualification and boost their confidence. Those in bottom sets could take time to gain basic numeracy skills and hopefully take functional maths GCSE at age 16 - leaving with a valuable and practical qualification rather than a feeling of failure at maths.

15. trinity0097

We're veering away from my original question. Is there a definitive list of jobs and/or careers that require GCSE Maths grade C to get into? (or the reverse ones that don't specifically require it?

16. You will NEVER get a definitive list because it depends on the employer. Example as follows:

Hotel receptionist.

Local hotel may be happy with a receptionist without GCSE maths as long as she has basic numeracy skills.

The Hilton Hotel may insist on GCSE maths for the receptionist because it feels the hotel needs staff with above average qualifications for that industry.

17. Theres nowt wrong with being a bricklayer

18. There is nowt wrong with a lot of jobs, however a friend, recruiting for a well known restaurant for jobs like waiter, chef, cleaner etc, had so many applicants, he shortlisted by discarding all that did not have C+ in maths and English. That is the reality for jobseekers now.

19. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

As the last government had an aim (at least it was presented as such) that half the population would go to university...
    Why would anyone employ someone from the other half?
    Waiters, Chefs, etc. will soon need at least a Degree (if they don't already).

20. rich_m

rich_m New commenter

For jobseekers that is the reality they have to face now, without good grades they won't even make the shortlist due to the volume of applicants. The smallest things will stop them getting anywhere, a grade C in Maths however isn't a small thing.

One of my year 11 pupils had a brother who left a couple of years ago, he didn't get a grade C (D I think, maybe an E), got himself a job at McDonalds (pupils now start listening at this point), he hasn't been able to progress beyond a very basic role (ie, can't become supervisor) because of his D/E in Maths.

How much truth there is in this story is somewhat debatable, but with such a job having these requirements, it's a pretty useful message to send out to those uninterested kids.