1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs that are advertised for months

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Zenkris, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I applied for a certain school about 2 months ago. It still is being advertised now. Obviously they have not found their ideal candidate. Should I give up on it? If not, what would be a intelligent way of following this up?

2. I applied for a certain school about 2 months ago. It still is being advertised now. Obviously they have not found their ideal candidate. Should I give up on it? If not, what would be a intelligent way of following this up?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The ad could be for the same job or another job within the same department because somebody has left.
    My own personal view on this is that if they did not invite you for interview the first time round, it is highly unlikely you would be invited for interview the second time round unless your application had changed considerably ( obtained a qualification in the meantime etc. etc. ).
    Of course you could always give it a shot or perhaps just email the human resources department and ask them if they would consider application made by previous applicants.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

There are many possibilities.
    Firstly, don't presume the school is desperate in anyway just because they are readvertising (not presuming you are thinking that, just saying). Was this the only job they were advertising or one of many?
    In the current climate most decent schools in most decent countries will have plenty of teachers to choose from; we recently had over 300 enquiries. This is the second phase in our recruitment drive for September 2011 and I didn't include anyone who also applied during phase one in the shortlist.
    Having said that I'm sure there are plenty of teachers who have been successful second time around so if you think you have what the school is looking for, review your letter of application. If the content is fine ensure you set it out in formal letter writing format: I had plenty of poorly written LoAs that didn't get short listed. When you are competing against anywhere from 10 to 100 other candidates you need to ensure you stand out in terms of quality - avoid cheap tricks to make you application stand out such as fancy fonts, it suggests the wrong attitude for a serious teacher.
    Uncle Theo often mentions his services, so I'll mention it and others like his first: if you're not sure about whether your application meets standards or not, get a professional to check it.

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

The world of school post advertising is a mysterious one at times and one wonders whether these managers apply rational criterion for assessing applicants.
    The Spanish market is a strange one to me, having applied for over ten different posts there over the last 6 years and never even had a reply. I have huge experience in the primary sector both overseas and at home, have great references and tend to impress where ever I go yet, Spain remains a mystery. I've come to suspect they are often going through the motions of advertising at times; and yes, we know UK schools do that when they already have a known prime candidate.

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

It seems to me that more and more international teachers are using the "shotgun method" when applying for teaching jobs. E-mail and Skype makes it easier and cheaper to send out more and more applications. If a candidate thinks that other candidates will be making many applications, then of course he or she will start doing the same thing. It is a vicious circle. A school may have lots of genuine candidates, teachers who really would like to teach at that particular school, but it is equally possible that many teachers only apply for jobs at a particular school because they do not want to run the risk of being unemployed, not because they really do want to work at that school. Therefore they apply for a job, but then pull out if (or when) something better comes along. Therefore it is silly to say, "Oh my school has had hundreds of applications and this just shows what a wonderful school we are!"

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I agree there are teachers who do the shotgun approach. However, as we are one of those 'annoying' schools that require Application Forms, that decreases the amount of teachers doing the shotgun approach.
    Anyhow, the point I'm making with highlighting numbers isn't, look how popular we are - I'm sure more well known schools in the region have far more applications that we do - but to advise the OP that the competition is tough. I then go on to give advise on ensuring their application is as good as can be show that they lift theirs above the others. In addition to the point about formal letter writing skills, a letter of application that does not refer to why you want to move to the school you are applying to is more likely to be discarded.
    Since adopting Application Forms the number of poor applications (presumably including the shotgun ones) has fallen dramatically compared to my previous schools where I simply asked for the standard LoA & CV.
    It's one thing for a teacher to kep a school dangling - I've done it myself, stretching out an offer for over a month whilst waiting for my preferred school to interview and offer - but once a contract is signed any teacher pulling out then isn't worth employing. The world of international heads is a small one and bad reputations get spread quickly; I certainly wouldn't suggest a teacher signs a contract for one school and goes to another in the same country.
    Enjoy your wallowing.

8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

This kind of thing really annoys me. You wonder whether the school has decided that what you have told them is a lie, but surly, with Skype and email it's not that difficult to check with referees. One can only assume that their ideal candidate might be ideal for the wrong reasons: age, sex, price, etc.