1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs that are a 'step down' -how would I be viewed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by san38, Mar 19, 2016.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks for earlier advice, I am thinking now of applying for a straight teacher role although I am currently (technically) a dept head. Only technically as my subject has been 'wound down' by SLT over the last few years. No fault of mine, or even school really -ebac pressure has led them towards priorities that haven't included my subject despite many successful years. I am now tasked with a variety of other things to warrant my money&am finding it stressful manning a sinking ship whilst planning new gcse&A level alone as there are still enough hours for me alone.I would be happy to drop my tlr&get back to focusing on teaching my subject in a school where by all accounts it has a higher profile. I just wonder how a new school will view this- I don't want to look like a has been searching for an easy life!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just say in your application, early on, something like this

Having led and managed the curriculum in my subject area for the last X years, I feel that I am now at the stage of my career where I would prefer to concentrate on pupil contact and classroom teaching, while still working collaboratively with my colleagues, and am thus applying for the post of Teacher of X in Z School.

Two points I often say:

1. My suggestions are just suggestions, and you shouldn't ever copy them blindly, only if they are honest and truthful.

2, Have you found all the applications advice articles in the Prifessional Advice Hub? Tag me @TheoGriff if not.

Best wishes

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks again Theo. Sorry - not sure where to find the 'professional advice hub'? I it the first few posts on this thread?

4. san38

san38 New commenter

Sorry! Being stupid, found it now thank you