1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs on the French- Swiss border.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rhianrebecca, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi,

I graduated from Oxford University in summer 2009 with a good 2.I in Biological Sciences, and in Sept. 09 I began teaching science at a Midlands academy as part of the Teach First scheme. I completed my PGCE with an 'outstanding' rating from Teach First and I am now an NQT at the same school. I am now looking to move to the French- Swiss border to join my partner, but having applied for roles at two different international schools in the region, I have been unsuccessful. My French is basic and so I am limited to applying for teaching roles at international schools.

While I would love to stay in teaching while in Geneva (c. 2 years), I am also comfortable with the idea of a 'gap two years' improving my French (and enjoying fondue, raclette etc.!) while waiting for my partner to finish his doctorate. Besides teaching I am interested in retail, but again my lack of languages is a major issue.

Does anyone have any idea about jobs which I could do in Geneva, or other teaching- related possibilities? Any ideas are welcomed. I am not too concerned about money- I just want enough to be able to live on.

Thanks in advance,

RhianRebecca.

2. Hi,

I graduated from Oxford University in summer 2009 with a good 2.I in Biological Sciences, and in Sept. 09 I began teaching science at a Midlands academy as part of the Teach First scheme. I completed my PGCE with an 'outstanding' rating from Teach First and I am now an NQT at the same school. I am now looking to move to the French- Swiss border to join my partner, but having applied for roles at two different international schools in the region, I have been unsuccessful. My French is basic and so I am limited to applying for teaching roles at international schools.

While I would love to stay in teaching while in Geneva (c. 2 years), I am also comfortable with the idea of a 'gap two years' improving my French (and enjoying fondue, raclette etc.!) while waiting for my partner to finish his doctorate. Besides teaching I am interested in retail, but again my lack of languages is a major issue.

Does anyone have any idea about jobs which I could do in Geneva, or other teaching- related possibilities? Any ideas are welcomed. I am not too concerned about money- I just want enough to be able to live on.

Thanks in advance,

RhianRebecca.

3. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

I come from that part of the world but haven't lived there for 15 years... Some people like Karvol might be able to answer your post better than I can.
    One thing you could do is try to get work in the tourist industry in the French or Swiss Alps. You could work for a British tour operator or in a pub, for instance... For that, you would indeed need to brush up on your French, and any other language would be useful.
    Alternatively, you could contact all the international schools to offer your services as a supply teacher / boarding assistant / emergency cover teacher... Those positions are not often advertised but most schools like to have a few people on their books just in case. If you explain that you are a qualified teacher with an EU passport and that you will be in the area anyway, I think you might have some success. Once you have a foot in the door, who knows what might happen...
    Bear in mind that it isn't such an easy area in which to find work. People tend to squat on their jobs until they die, the French have ridiculous rules about what jobs you can do with what diplomas, and the Swiss aren't particularly open to non-Swiss trying to take their jobs (especially if they live on the other side of the border) Finally, although you don't seem to worry about money, it is a very expensive area...